Enrollment Updates

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

RedNeck wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:28 pmDoesn't QC mostly focus on upper division classes/students?
Juniors, Seniors, and Grad Students have the highest numbers at the QC campus. But there are also Freshmen and Sophomores there as well.

The Fall 2017 QC numbers:
Freshmen = 72.
Sophomores = 61.
Juniors = 255.
Seniors = 430.
Grad Students = 514.
Neckfansince71

8.5 years is the average tenure for a college president. The pressure must be unbelievable! From the data, WIU started bleeding a number of years ago along with an number of other state universities in Illinois. Responding to this would have really taken a "change in direction" for WIU, something obviously the administration was not ready for. Even with the quad cities campus the bleeding continued. And then Gov Rauner happened and a financial storm enveloped not only WIU but also every other state school. Dr. Thomas fought the good fight in the face of this. He did what had to be done, he triaged the university as best he could. His work as a member of the Illinois Board of Higher Education can not go unnoticed!!! Rumors about state schools closing along with union issues seemed to dog any positive momentum WIU could get. You know, the president of the IBHE stated that WIU was never in the mix to close, but no one really had an idea that that was the case. The rumors persisted and that along with union problems helped to determine this years freshmen class. I am not going to say that those factors are the reason for WIU's problems, but I am going to say those things magnified them. Its time for everyone to be proactive. Its time to bleed purple and gold. Its time to be part of the answer and not part of the problem. Maybe this will require a change of administration to finally put things right. But Dr. Thomas helped guide WIU through the Rauner storm and that should not be forgotten no matter who lives in the President's home next year! ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:57 pm 8.5 years is the average tenure for a college president. The pressure must be unbelievable! From the data, WIU started bleeding a number of years ago along with an number of other state universities in Illinois. Responding to this would have really taken a "change in direction" for WIU, something obviously the administration was not ready for. Even with the quad cities campus the bleeding continued. And then Gov Rauner happened and a financial storm enveloped not only WIU but also every other state school. Dr. Thomas fought the good fight in the face of this. He did what had to be done, he triaged the university as best he could. His work as a member of the Illinois Board of Higher Education can not go unnoticed!!! Rumors about state schools closing along with union issues seemed to dog any positive momentum WIU could get. You know, the president of the IBHE stated that WIU was never in the mix to close, but no one really had an idea that that was the case. The rumors persisted and that along with union problems helped to determine this years freshmen class. I am not going to say that those factors are the reason for WIU's problems, but I am going to say those things magnified them. Its time for everyone to be proactive. Its time to bleed purple and gold. Its time to be part of the answer and not part of the problem. Maybe this will require a change of administration to finally put things right. But Dr. Thomas helped guide WIU through the Rauner storm and that should not be forgotten no matter who lives in the President's home next year! ;) jc
I agree except for one point. No college president has the time to make a significant impact on any state-wide board or council for higher education. If he does, he is neglecting his first duty. Here in VA, the council for higher education is composed almost entirely of high-level executives from state businesses. The lone exception or two are former now retired administrators from a couple of colleges.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

I think he was the only state school rep on the board! He was very instrumental in getting some of the money the state owed to state universities paid. ;) jc
Neckfansince71

I think he was the only state school rep on the board! He was very instrumental in getting some of the money the state owed to state universities paid. But times and requirements change as situations change. Its an evolution of direction and structure and we all know that organizations need to change with the trend and situation for the good of the organization. ;) jc
Western_101

Well now I'm all confused. You highfalutin suburbanites that went to Fancy WIU type schools and drove beautiful Green Vegas have got me all flustered.
wiu712

Eastern Illinois University is proposing tying future salary raises to the enrollment numbers.

Faculty and staff members who are academic service professionals and members of Eastern Illinois University’s University Professionals of Illinois are currently able to vote on a new contract that would change the way members of EIU-UPI would receive raises.

Nancy Crone, an academic adviser, said in the past, raises were based on a set percentage.

She said under the new contract, raises would be connected to enrollment. If enrollment increases, raises increase. But if enrollment decreases, raises decrease.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:50 pm Eastern Illinois University is proposing tying future salary raises to the enrollment numbers.

Faculty and staff members who are academic service professionals and members of Eastern Illinois University’s University Professionals of Illinois are currently able to vote on a new contract that would change the way members of EIU-UPI would receive raises.

Nancy Crone, an academic adviser, said in the past, raises were based on a set percentage.

She said under the new contract, raises would be connected to enrollment. If enrollment increases, raises increase. But if enrollment decreases, raises decrease.
This makes a lot of sense if it is done on a departmental basis. University wide increases and decreases is too broad IMHO.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:16 pm
wiu712 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:50 pm Eastern Illinois University is proposing tying future salary raises to the enrollment numbers.

This makes a lot of sense if it is done on a departmental basis. University wide increases and decreases is too broad IMHO.
Someday I'll figure out a way to do "likes" on a post...but for now....I agree.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Northern Illinois released their numbers. ~4.8% decrease vs last year, currently 17,169 students: http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2018/09/ ... 8/akf8sh1/

U of I system enrollment numbers: UIUC up 2.33% to 49,339, UI-Chicago up 3.75% to 31,683 (UIC recently approved a merger with the John Marshall Law School, so idk if those numbers include that or not), and UI-Springfield is down 7.69% to 4,575 students: https://thesouthern.com/news/local/stat ... d5b6d.html
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000