Enrollment Updates

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Western_101

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:30 pm
RedNeck wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:12 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:31 am
I got my Associates from Lincoln College and now they offer both an Associate and Bachelor degrees.
Hi Leatherneckcountry,

Lincoln College has been a curiosity to me. I think before it just recently became a four year it was the only or last 2 year private college in the State. So what was the appeal to go to Lincoln College as opposed to say Lincolnland Community College?

Was it the athletics or a certain program did you get a scholarship?
For me there were a couple of things my HS Ad and the head Basketball coach at Lincoln were brothers and so I got to go there and be the manager for 2 years the second year we won the national championship. I also liked that they had a a pretty good broadcasting program even though they only had radio at the time. They also had dorms on campus and being from a small town they were a small school.
Thanks for the reply. Interesting. I seem to remember them having a decent amount of Chicagoland kids, so I guess that makes sense they were good at sports, obviously they were recruiting. Good move that they went to the traditional format. They were always on ICCs schedule with basketball Lincoln was always good.
Neckerchief

The first week of classes is finished, and at this point, it appears that total enrollment for Fall, 2019 is going to be down right around 10% from one year ago. This would mean that total enrollment declined 40% during the Jack Thomas era.
Tere North

Neckerchief wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 pm The first week of classes is finished, and at this point, it appears that total enrollment for Fall, 2019 is going to be down right around 10% from one year ago. This would mean that total enrollment declined 40% during the Jack Thomas era.
And yet, at the June 2019 Board meeting, Thomas opened with remarks that enrollment was headed up based on information fed by VP Rives. Now dismissed Board member Padgett later questioned numbers when the Admissions Director spoke and confirmed that, in fact, Fall 2019 enrollment was projected to be 2 to 9 percent less than Fall 2018, pointing out the discrepancy directly to Thomas.
wiu51

I do not know former board member Padgett but after reading his bio and seeing him at the board meeting, he may have been the best board member we had. VP Rives should be the next high level employee dismissed.
Western_101

Anybody remember who was in the running back when Thomas was hired. I seem to recall someone mentioning the current President at UIS was in the mix.
Tere North

RedNeck wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:14 pm Anybody remember who was in the running back when Thomas was hired. I seem to recall someone mentioning the current President at UIS was in the mix.
Correct. Susan J. Koch was the number #1 choice by the faculty, and I believe by the committee, but was not selected by the BOT. She ended up becoming the Chancellor at UIS.
Tere North

wiu51 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:58 pm I do not know former board member Padgett but after reading his bio and seeing him at the board meeting, he may have been the best board member we had. VP Rives should be the next high level employee dismissed.
Honestly, I believe Thomas listening to Rives caused WIUs downfall. Absolutely, Rives must go. He expected to be named Interim President. I can only hope the Board is seeing though is BS as much as the Macomb campus and community is.
Neckfansince71

I think you will find that a smaller transfer number is much to blame for this year's enrollment numbers. EIU has made a comeback led with an increase in that specific area if I am not mistaken! ;) jc
Leatherneck10

RedNeck wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:14 pm Anybody remember who was in the running back when Thomas was hired. I seem to recall someone mentioning the current President at UIS was in the mix.
Susan Koch was very impressive. She is now Chancellor at UIS. She's had a few challenges at UIS, especially with the faculty union, but certainly would have been better than JT.

Carlos Vargas also interviewed well for the position. He is now at SEMO and is doing great things. He would have been very good for us.

https://semo.edu/president/about.html

We also interviewed Jeremy Brown, who was president at Edinboro University of PA. He left there after the school amassed massive debt for new buildings he authorized. After that he was fired by a school in New York after less than two years and fired again by Portland Community College in Oregon in 2015. Appears we dodged a bullet there:

https://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-332 ... brown.html

The school is New York closed the year after Brown was fired.

https://www.dowling.edu/
Neckerchief

Fall 2019 10th day total enrollment looks like it will be right around 7,624. This is a decline of 10.3% from one year ago.