Enrollment Updates

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:57 am Just hang in there folks! I realize its tough to ignore cold hard facts, but things are turning around. Lets wait for the official 10 day count. We can analyze the numbers till we drop dead of exhaustion but the key is, recruitment and retention in an environment of state support. ;) jc
IF we keep Abraham in charge, I am very hopeful we see a considerable increase in 2020.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:02 am Numbers, numbers, numbers. I am more interested in Programs and Degrees. We could very well elect a President who pushes for free public community college tuition for all. I would think that would have a big impact on freshman enrollment numbers at public 4 year universities. What can they do to compete? Simple - offer an Associate Degree for 2 years of academic work.

https://evolllution.com/opinions/two-ye ... -lay-land/
There are a number of 4-year universities who also offer 2-year Associates degrees. For example, SIUC offers Aviation and Physical Therapy 2 year programs at the Associates level.
leatherneckcountry

Tere North wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:11 am
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:02 am Numbers, numbers, numbers. I am more interested in Programs and Degrees. We could very well elect a President who pushes for free public community college tuition for all. I would think that would have a big impact on freshman enrollment numbers at public 4 year universities. What can they do to compete? Simple - offer an Associate Degree for 2 years of academic work.

There are a number of 4-year universities who also offer 2-year Associates degrees. For example, SIUC offers Aviation and Physical Therapy 2 year programs at the Associates level.
I got my Associates from Lincoln College and now they offer both an Associate and Bachelor degrees.
Tere North

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:31 am

I got my Associates from Lincoln College and now they offer both an Associate and Bachelor degrees.
An increasing amount of Community Colleges are now offering 4-year degrees. Probably the lowest cost option of getting a 4-year degree if they offer a field you are interested in.
sealhall74

Anyone have an idea what percentage adjunct professors hold in entire post-secondary teaching job market? My guess would be something in the 35-40 percent range but I might be way off.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 am Anyone have an idea what percentage adjunct professors hold in entire post-secondary teaching job market? My guess would be something in the 35-40 percent range but I might be way off.
75.5% of college faculty are now off the tenure track, meaning they have NO access to tenure.
This represents 1.3 million out of 1.8 million faculty members.
Of these, 700,000 or just over 50% are so-called part-time, most often known as “adjunct.”
Source: Dept of Education (2009)

Analysis from 2018 breaking it down by school type supports the roughly 75% non-tenure track. At Master's level institutions, of which Western is classified, just under 50% are part-time.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... g-new-aauphttps://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... g-new-aaup
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:30 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 am Anyone have an idea what percentage adjunct professors hold in entire post-secondary teaching job market? My guess would be something in the 35-40 percent range but I might be way off.
75.5% of college faculty are now off the tenure track, meaning they have NO access to tenure.
This represents 1.3 million out of 1.8 million faculty members.
Of these, 700,000 or just over 50% are so-called part-time, most often known as “adjunct.”
Source: Dept of Education (2009)

Analysis from 2018 breaking it down by school type supports the roughly 75% non-tenure track. At Master's level institutions, of which Western is classified, just under 50% are part-time.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... g-new-aauphttps://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... g-new-aaup
Thanks for doing the research. I think we will see more adjuncts/non-tenured profs with increasing online course offerings and public community colleges offering 4 year degrees.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

Fall 2018, Western had 867 full-time faculty and 247 part-time faculty. However, graduate assistants made up 323 of the full-timers and 186 of the part-timers. Librarians and Counselors were also included in the mix.

If to just look at truly faculty lines, there were 527 full-time faculty and 60 part-time faculty, which matches the 587 instructional staff count, generating 547 full-time equivalents. Thus, the 60 part-timers equal out to 20 full-time positions. Westerns has never been big on using adjuncts, though doing so would offer much more flexibility in meeting course demand.
Western_101

Hi Leatherneckcountry,

Lincoln College has been a curiosity to me. I think before it just recently became a four year it was the only or last 2 year private college in the State. So what was the appeal to go to Lincoln College as opposed to say Lincolnland Community College?

Was it the athletics or a certain program did you get a scholarship?
leatherneckcountry

RedNeck wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Leatherneckcountry,

Lincoln College has been a curiosity to me. I think before it just recently became a four year it was the only or last 2 year private college in the State. So what was the appeal to go to Lincoln College as opposed to say Lincolnland Community College?

Was it the athletics or a certain program did you get a scholarship?
For me there were a couple of things my HS Ad and the head Basketball coach at Lincoln were brothers and so I got to go there and be the manager for 2 years the second year we won the national championship. I also liked that they had a a pretty good broadcasting program even though they only had radio at the time. They also had dorms on campus and being from a small town they were a small school.