Macomb and Quad Cities Campuses Closed - 11/26/2018

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... 3&urgent=1

Due to blizzard conditions continuing through much of the night. If you're in the region, stay safe and stay home if you can.

Here was the view out of my garage at around 7:30 PM this evening (streetlight helps visibility quite a bit, just fyi). I live ~1 mile from Hanson Field, for reference.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Yeah I got stuck trying to get out of my parking lot trying to go to work
sealhall74

Let the "Shoulda Coulda Wouldas" begin. The McDonough County Voice should have removed that survey questionaire for viewers who visit their site during times like this. Who has the time for that nonsense.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

This was me trying to get out the door this morning
wiu712

The University's Facebook page and the WIU-TV-3's Facebook page have a lot of comments from unhappy parents who are critical of the university's not opening the dorms early to allow people to return on Saturday when it was 57.

The Western dorms opened at 10 AM on Sunday.

Monmouth College re-opened their dorms one day early on Saturday to allow students to beat the weather.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:18 am The University's Facebook page and the WIU-TV-3's Facebook page have a lot of comments from unhappy parents who are critical of the university's not opening the dorms early to allow people to return on Saturday when it was 57.

The Western dorms opened at 10 AM on Sunday.

Monmouth College re-opened their dorms one day early on Saturday to allow students to beat the weather.
They did allow students in on Saturday, although they had to charge them a small fee to cover the extra maintenance/cleaning ($22, I think...still way cheaper than just about any hotel room). At some point, the kids/parents have to take responsibility and do what is best for them. Could the university have done more...maybe...but I think they handled it pretty well overall. They actually cancelled classes and closed the university before any of the local K-12 schools (public or private) did...and that NEVER happens. If someone hit the road early on Sunday, they could have gotten here late morning/early afternoon...after the dorms had opened, and well before it really got nasty out.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

really macomb only got about 5 inches but it was getting to town that would have been the issue.
rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:05 am really macomb only got about 5 inches but it was getting to town that would have been the issue.
True, but it's not like this storm came out of nowhere. It was predicted before the weekend, and if people had left early enough on Sunday they would have most likely been driving back in just rain. The snow came much later than was originally predicted, so they caught a break there.
wiu712

"A Wild Disaster:" WIU student discusses commute to campus during Sunday's blizzard.
Top Story tonight on KHQA-TV-7 News:
https://khqa.com/news/local/a-wild-disa ... s-blizzard
leatherneckcountry

Who’s ready for some football