The Stars aligned!

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

So I am not sure how important everyone thought this weekend was, but it's as if the stars were aligned. I have been down for football alumni weekend in the past and have basically driven around in a golf cart "chatting up the LC and the "All Leatherneck" Golf Outing we have hosted for the past 4 years. But this time with my daughter expecting our first grandchild I decided maybe I better stay home. The result surprisingly enough was the fact that that gave us the opportunity to watch the softball team split with UIC on a sunny but cold day in view of the Chicago Skyline. My wife enjoyed the day and the games as much as I did. We both, of course, were dressed in the "Purple and Gold" and the women played solid, fundamental softball.

So Macomb, ladies and gentlemen was filled with people this weekend. Not only was there the Football Alumni Golf Outing at the Country Club hosted by Neck57, but there was also the pre Spring Game Tailgate along with the Spring game on Friday night. Over 65 football alumni answered the call and from the pic's I saw, a great time was had by all. It was also Mother's weekend, Baseball Alumni Weekend, which Connie Kowal organizes every spring, the Football Golf Outing on Saturday, along with a 5K run, and finally Discover Western, all on Saturday. Oh, by the way, the baseball team swept Purdue Fort Wayne on Saturday, and I took a look at the ESPN production and it was pretty darn good with interviews of former baseball alumni and good baseball optics. Oh, I missed the Foundation Dinner on Friday night. It was jammed with donors and Brad Bainter completed the night with a speech that celebrated the "Purple and Gold!" People were fired up when they left the Grand Ballroom!!!! FYI, the Discover Western was jammed with people Saturday morning and the weather seemed to answer the call. I have a picture of the introduction crowd in the rec. center if you would like to see it. There are truly a lot of good things happening on campus at WIU. WIU is still a great place to get a good education. And WIU/Macomb is about to turn the corner, once and for all indicating that this "jewel" in the plains of west central Illinois which we call our alma mater, is here to stay. ;) jc
wiu51

I opened this thread thinking Jack finally got removed as President. It was a great weekend in Macomb, the weather was nice and there was a good turnout for all the events.
Western_101

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:35 pm So I am not sure how important everyone thought this weekend was, but it's as if the stars were aligned. I have been down for football alumni weekend in the past and have basically driven around in a golf cart "chatting up the LC and the "All Leatherneck" Golf Outing we have hosted for the past 4 years. But this time with my daughter expecting our first grandchild I decided maybe I better stay home. The result surprisingly enough was the fact that that gave us the opportunity to watch the softball team split with UIC on a sunny but cold day in view of the Chicago Skyline. My wife enjoyed the day and the games as much as I did. We both, of course, were dressed in the "Purple and Gold" and the women played solid, fundamental softball.

So Macomb, ladies and gentlemen was filled with people this weekend. Not only was there the Football Alumni Golf Outing at the Country Club hosted by Neck57, but there was also the pre Spring Game Tailgate along with the Spring game on Friday night. Over 65 football alumni answered the call and from the pic's I saw, a great time was had by all. It was also Mother's weekend, Baseball Alumni Weekend, which Connie Kowal organizes every spring, the Football Golf Outing on Saturday, along with a 5K run, and finally Discover Western, all on Saturday. Oh, by the way, the baseball team swept Purdue Fort Wayne on Saturday, and I took a look at the ESPN production and it was pretty darn good with interviews of former baseball alumni and good baseball optics. Oh, I missed the Foundation Dinner on Friday night. It was jammed with donors and Brad Bainter completed the night with a speech that celebrated the "Purple and Gold!" People were fired up when they left the Grand Ballroom!!!! FYI, the Discover Western was jammed with people Saturday morning and the weather seemed to answer the call. I have a picture of the introduction crowd in the rec. center if you would like to see it. There are truly a lot of good things happening on campus at WIU. WIU is still a great place to get a good education. And WIU/Macomb is about to turn the corner, once and for all indicating that this "jewel" in the plains of west central Illinois which we call our alma mater, is here to stay. ;) jc
Great post JC :)
Western_101

The amount of damage done by the two plus year budget impasse may take a decade to recover.

Bruce Rauner may have all the money in the World "or so it may seem" . Im not a a Madigan supporter but, it doesn't take a genius to figure out maybe a full frontal attack on a State Senate Mainstay for 100 years is going to result in a SIGNIFICANT push back. Ya aint gonna steamroll this dude.

We "WIU" were political collateral damage.