New Degrees at QC Campus

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

LocalYokelFan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:15 pm I have mixed feelings about this. To become a true engineering school, WIU needs to start developing these type of disciplines. At the same time, WIU shouldn't be competing in this space. Engineering technology - yes; Engineering - no.

I know the horse has already left the barn on this one, but I just think it's misguided to continue to invest in WIU engineering. I wish the Grainger College of Engineering would make its first big splash since the name change and take the QC campus from WIU. University of Illinois does engineering higher education well, WIU does not.
I would think it is a gold mine for internship and hiring opportunities with the Arsenal and Deere close by.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Leatherneck10

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 am
LocalYokelFan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:15 pm I have mixed feelings about this. To become a true engineering school, WIU needs to start developing these type of disciplines. At the same time, WIU shouldn't be competing in this space. Engineering technology - yes; Engineering - no.

I know the horse has already left the barn on this one, but I just think it's misguided to continue to invest in WIU engineering. I wish the Grainger College of Engineering would make its first big splash since the name change and take the QC campus from WIU. University of Illinois does engineering higher education well, WIU does not.
I would think it is a gold mine for internship and hiring opportunities with the Arsenal and Deere close by.
It already is. Our Engineering students are all finding well paying work, most of them in the QC community.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Leatherneck10 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 am

It already is. Our Engineering students are all finding well paying work, most of them in the QC community.
And the program gets a significant amount of money from Deere as well.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LocalYokelFan

Fair enough. Look, I've written extensively on this board in the past how I think engineering at WIU is ill-conceived and hurts the more well established engineering technology and physics (pre-engineering) programs. Engineering technology and pre-engineering fit much better with the student profile WIU has currently and recruits to best.

There are at least 5 IL state campuses that have longer established, better recognized, and higher rated engineering schools (UIUC, UIC, SIUc, SIUe, NIU). Contrast that to the ET and Pre-Eng programs at WIU who I would put on par with any other of our in-state competition. This "add degrees/programs to grow" is exactly what the legislators in Springfield bemoan about, yet we (and our peer institutions) put our blinders on and plow forward despite the warnings.