A New Beginning has Begun

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 pmDo I put up with the high property taxes along with the benefit of zero state income tax on my retirement, or do I settle for the Davenport/Bettendorf area?
You will need to get out your slide rule and abacus to calculate the tax differences between Iowa and Illinois. :D

The Iowa state income tax has nine income brackets, with marginal rates between 0.36% and 8.98%. In addition to that state income tax, there are local income surtaxes collected by nearly every school district in Iowa.

Social Security benefits are exempt from the Iowa state income tax. Other forms of retirement income are taxed, but seniors are eligible for a deduction of up to $6,000 on that income.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 pm I wish the gov would do something about the high property taxes in Illinois. Complicates my home finding process. Do I put up with the high property taxes along with the benefit of zero state income tax on my retirement or do I settle for the Davenport/Bettendorf area? Yes, I am embarking on MY new beginning and I could be seeing a lot more football and basketball games sometime soon.
Might consider Missouri...............
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:03 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 pm I wish the gov would do something about the high property taxes in Illinois. Complicates my home finding process. Do I put up with the high property taxes along with the benefit of zero state income tax on my retirement or do I settle for the Davenport/Bettendorf area? Yes, I am embarking on MY new beginning and I could be seeing a lot more football and basketball games sometime soon.
I am sure my girlfriend would love that commute to work.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am
Leatherneck10 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:51 am He's a 'disaster' who just signed $200 million in new capital funding for Western. As opposed to the previous disaster who starved WIU into this crisis by pulling tens of millions of operating funds, with no time to plan for it.
this ↑

I'm not saying Pritzker is going to be some amazing governor that's going to do wonders for the state, but by all appearances so far, he's done a much better job than the previous guy who just wanted to starve many of the universities into nonexistence (or privatization).
With all due respect, I still fail to see where all this amazing money is going to come from. Yeah, yeah, we're gonna have recreational mj now, and gas taxes are doubled, and he wants to get away from a flat tax......how much do you think people are going to stand? I can tell you I'm going to leave WIU a million dollars, but until I can actually make it (and I mean make it, not "make it on expected income that might or might not come to fruition), it's just something that makes me looks really generous. Yeah, I'm a cynic.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:05 pm
rocki wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:03 pm
I am sure my girlfriend would love that commute to work.
Well, you didn't mention that..............
Leatherneck10

Iowa's income taxes are very high, but they are coming down. Don't be surprised, however, to see the property taxes go up to compensate for the loss of local school revenue. The Regents Universities have already had to spike their tuition to compensate for the loss of state appropriation.
wiu712

Rep. Norine Hammond decries Pritzker over WIU trustee removals.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/201 ... e-removals
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:19 pm Rep. Norine Hammond decries Pritzker over WIU trustee removals.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/201 ... e-removals
Had the 3 Trustees who didn't show up at the July meeting been there, the entire meeting could have taken place. They were gung-ho to ram their agenda through since without Thompson and Padgett, they had the votes. Well, that was until the Student Member announced a rush return across 2 states from his cross-country bicycle trip to attend the meeting to "even the vote." Guess they didn't like the idea of losing the upper hand and having the Acting President state Abraham instead of their boy, Rives, so they boycotted rather than lose face, even though that meant all the people that had been asked to attend the meeting to discuss suggested program cuts made the drive for naught.
wiu712

Western Illinois University acting president discusses plans for the university.
From WGEM News:
https://wgem.com/2019/07/16/western-ill ... niversity/
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 pm Western Illinois University acting president discusses plans for the university.
From WGEM News:
https://wgem.com/2019/07/16/western-ill ... niversity/
He's on the right track, "by creating new and unique opportunities for students." We have to have uniqueness to stand out.