A New Beginning has Begun

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:34 pm I wish the gov would do something about the high property taxes in Illinois. Complicates my home finding process. Do I put up with the high property taxes along with the benefit of zero state income tax on my retirement or do I settle for the Davenport/Bettendorf area? Yes, I am embarking on MY new beginning and I could be seeing a lot more football and basketball games sometime soon.
Seal......just for information's sake

https://www.woodfordtimes.com/news/2019 ... R0m2x5T7jY
Leatherneck10

Not paying income taxes on pensions and Social Security is a huge plus to remaining in Illinois for many retirees. Illinois also freezes property taxes for families earning less than 65K. It's a very good state for low and middle income retirees. Higher income retirees need to find the break even point on income taxes versus property taxes. Most public employer retirees who move away from Illinois will also see their retiree health care costs spike as there will not be an HMO option in most places outside the state.
wiu712

WIU's Acting President Talks About His New Role.
From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
https://www.tspr.org/post/wius-acting-p ... s-new-role
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm WIU's Acting President Talks About His New Role.
Thanks for sharing wiu712. Great interview. I hope he stays in the acting/interim President role beyond the October board meeting. What he as done so far and his attitude and approach are MUCH needed.

The last-minute no-show decision by 3 of the BOT members on top of the 2 who were removed has turned out to be a positive, as I know there was concern Dr. Abraham may not have been allowed to continue in the acting role past the July meeting.
LocalYokelFan

Tere North wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:49 pm
wiu712 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:59 pm WIU's Acting President Talks About His New Role.
Thanks for sharing wiu712. Great interview. I hope he stays in the acting/interim President role beyond the October board meeting. What he as done so far and his attitude and approach are MUCH needed.

The last-minute no-show decision by 3 of the BOT members on top of the 2 who were removed has turned out to be a positive, as I know there was concern Dr. Abraham may not have been allowed to continue in the acting role past the July meeting.
I agree, Tere, I thought it was a great interview as well! Maybe what I appreciated most was Dr. Abraham answering a few different times to the tune of, "I don't know, but I'm listening and working on it." It's almost like he's an engineer or something! Patient and analytical. Not having an answer when asked a question is typically acceptable; but giving a poorly thought out or a preconceived bad answer is what sinks ships.

My early impression is Dr. Abraham's is the real deal and we're lucky to have him in whichever leadership role he settles into.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

LocalYokelFan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:23 am
Tere North wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:49 pm

I agree, Tere, I thought it was a great interview as well! Maybe what I appreciated most was Dr. Abraham answering a few different times to the tune of, "I don't know, but I'm listening and working on it." It's almost like he's an engineer or something! Patient and analytical. Not having an answer when asked a question is typically acceptable; but giving a poorly thought out or a preconceived bad answer is what sinks ships.

My early impression is Dr. Abraham's is the real deal and we're lucky to have him in whichever leadership role he settles into.
I haven't met him personally, but everyone that I've talked to who has met him has come away with a very positive impression.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Working Together: Acting President Martin Abraham.

Dear University and Community Members,

I am excited to serve as your acting president. Over the past few weeks, I have had the privilege to meet many of you. There is great positive energy across our University and in our communities with so many people prepared to support our institution.

I am ready to support our students, faculty and staff, alumni and the residents of those communities we serve as we work together to chart our new path forward. The people I've met are optimistic and committed to ensuring a strong future for WIU. This is an exciting time to begin the next chapter in Western Illinois University's history.

In the coming weeks, I will continue to meet with University and community members, as well as city and state leaders. Recruitment, enrollment and retention, diversity and inclusion, and building stronger community relationships are key initiatives, along with ensuring access to the excellent academic programs offered at WIU. Regardless of whatever role the Board ultimately determines I should have at WIU, we will work tirelessly to serve our students and the people of western Illinois, the state and beyond.

Together, we will also reaffirm our University's commitment to social justice, equity and diversity. My expectations are that each one of us play a vital role in ensuring a climate that is respectful, civil and supportive for all students, faculty, staff and guests.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at President@wiu.edu. I look forward to working with all of you as we turn the page together to build this great institution.

Best wishes,

Martin Abraham
Acting President
wiu712

Turning around WIU's Enrollment.
https://www.tspr.org/post/turning-aroun ... enrollment
LeatherCy

Been a while since I've been on here. Don't know this Rives guy but his comments about not wanting to live in Macomb with all the animals and as alum of the Ag Dept it is enough for me to form an opentioned theinion on him! As was previously m Ag Dept is one of a handful of departments that is holding its' own. Four years ago a committee of AGR alums was formed to look into launching looking a Capital Campaign as we were forced to install a sprinkler system. No major improvements to the house had been completed since 1986. We all were aware that Jackie was destroying our alma mater but we wanted to know the "state of the Ag Dept." We contacted Dr. Andy Baker for an honest opinion. The AG dept was more than holding it's own in light of all the other things going to hell at Western. We launched the campaign. Thus far have $1.15 million pledged with the goal being $1.6 million. (Try getting money out of group of predominantly farmers! :) One brother pledged 1,000 bushels of soybeans every year for five years. The first year when Beans were high it was great. The last two years not so good.

After reading about the "comeback" at Eastern I hope the BOT or others find out what they did in Charleston to have the nice rebound.If it can be done in Charleston it can be done in Macomb.
wiu712

HIGHER EDUCATION COST TRANSPARENCY:

House Bill 2512, a measure aimed at increasing transparency regarding the cost of higher education, gained unanimous approval in both chambers of the General Assembly prior to Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s signature last week.

The new law requires each public university in the state to submit a report to the Illinois Board of Higher Education on the amount of tuition undergraduates paid in the previous academic year, including the number of students paying more than 75 percent of full tuition costs; those paying between 50 and 75 percent; those paying between 25 and 50 percent; and those paying no more than 25 percent.

The information requirements will be added to an existing report submitted to the General Assembly each year which accounts for full tuition and fee waivers obtained by students.