A New Beginning has Begun

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

WIU Board meeting cancelled as two trustees were quietly removed.
From the Quad City Times:
https://qctimes.com/news/local/wiu-boar ... 4265c.html
rocki

So, once again, Pritzker stabs us in the back. Illinois is doomed.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:01 pm So, once again, Pritzker stabs us in the back. Illinois is doomed.
Sounds like they weren't going to be confirmed by the senate anyway (a process that was still ongoing). Pritzker wants to make sure that WIU has the right BOT members in place to really work to get things turned around. There were apparently issues/questions with the two who were removed that had recently come to light.
rocki wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:24 pm So, who is it that actually wants this guy to take the reins? And why? We saw the report of how the QC campus is draining the Macomb campus - who in their right mind would want him here?
A few BOT members, who don't really have a full "lay of the land" yet, and maybe a couple of people in the QC area (not anyone actually at the QC campus, but local QC business people, I think). That's about it though. Nobody else, from the governor down to the building service workers on either campus want Rives to be the Interim President.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

What kind of issues? Jackie and her husband bleed purple and gold. I don't know the other gentleman, so I can't speak for him.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:18 pm What kind of issues? Jackie and her husband bleed purple and gold. I don't know the other gentleman, so I can't speak for him.
I'm sure they love the university...they had a huge hand in making the Ray Hanson Statue a reality...but the reasoning had more to do with how they handled the senate confirmation process (i.e. poorly). Just because someone loves the university doesn't mean they will make the best BOT member. I, for example, also love WIU...this campus has literally been my home for my entire life...but I also would not make a good BOT member.
rocki

I guess I don't understand the process you are talking about. (And this is why I'm not on the BOT). I just figured they were appointed and either accepted or declined.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm I guess I don't understand the process you are talking about. (And this is why I'm not on the BOT). I just figured they were appointed and either accepted or declined.
Nope...Governor's people look into candidates, do an initial vetting for any obvious problems, then the Governor can give his "ok" and they are essentially "tentative" BOT members. However, the BOT members do also require senate confirmation to be "official", and that process can take a while longer.

On page 402 of the State Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability's list of Expirations and Vacancies (http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lru/Gov.pdf) you can see "20046 Western Illinois University, Board of Trustees" listed as "Confirmation Required". Not all governor appointees need Senate Confirmation, but all state university BOT member positions do require it.

I've heard from a couple of sources now that the two members who were removed were not likely to be officially confirmed by the senate. I don't know if we'll ever know for sure what the reasoning was, but that's what the process is.
rocki

Thanks for clarifying that. I just hope we get people who will work hard to get WIU back up to speed.
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm I've heard from a couple of sources now that the two members who were removed were not likely to be officially confirmed by the senate. I don't know if we'll ever know for sure what the reasoning was, but that's what the process is.
That is what is on the Capital Fax site, but let's be honest. The Governor withdrew his support, for whatever reasons.
rocki

I guess what makes me the most nervous about this is that the only way they didn't get to name Rives the interim president is because of the two removed and the other 3 who did not show up out of solidarity. Are we now going to be stuck with a skewed BOT who wants this guy even though most people think it's a horrendous choice?