Performing Arts Center

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:I think this will happen though it may not happen right away. I know the need for parking in that area will be great, especially if they even plan on having any events there. Probably would be dreaming, but a walkway from the second level of parking garage across road would be ideal. I know the plan has always been to place at least one of similar size as the parking lot there. If they went 4 stories high it would provide a good amount of parking and leave the band field.
Originally...as in, way back when they first started showing plans and stuff...there were plans for putting in a 2-story parking structure between the new facility and Corbin. The top level would essentially be where the current parking lot at Corbin/Olson is, and the lower section would go down below that and also extend underneath the CPA (Center for Performing Arts). They scrapped that plan due to cost, and possibly the engineering limitations of doing that underneath the performance venue.

Technically, it might be feasible to take out the parking lot across from Corbin/Olson (up the hill from the band practice field) as well as the hill between it and the practice field. They could do a 3-story parking structure with the bottom level at the level of the practice field, the second level at ~ where the current parking lot level is and the third level at ~ the level where the Corbin/Olson parking lot is. They could then make a walkway from the third level of the parking structure over Western Avenue, and connecting straight across to where the Corbin/Olson lot is now. I think it would be possible to do that and even keep the band practice field in it's current location, but I don't know that they'd do that because of financial restraints. The current lot across from Corbin/Olson (up the hill from the band field) has 92 parking spaces. Doing that on 3 levels would give you ~276 spaces, which would be a significant increase over what is available in that area now.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

If the current lot is 92 spaces it would need probably a 25% larger area to continue to hold 92 spaces on each level for a parking garage. There is a lot of area that is dedicated to the structure not to mention the ramps to get up each level cause for a larger width needed. Plus you can assume there will be an elevator and stairs to make it ADA rated. I would have to think at least part of the field would be lost no matter what the way they attempt to complete this kind of structure.
WIU0812

I would guess a parking garage of the size we were talking about would cost between 10 and 15 million. Depending on how they designed it.
wiu712

It's official!

From tonight's WGEM News:
http://www.wgem.com/story/25323799/2014 ... u-facility
Neckfansince71

Finally! Seemed like for the past 3 years WIU was stuck in the muck when it came to the CPA! New construction means growth and growth means success. I am also curious about the next step in the Union refurbishing. Things are beginning to happen in Macomb! ;)
WIU0812

I think the next big construction project we will see is the west side stands especially with them becoming a safety issue and being a long time coming. We may also see demo of the old cinema in near future to keep cleaning up that part of the school. Plus a demo on this scale would not be a extremely expensive project for the result. Just really happy that things keep moving forward and that this project is being mostly funded by state.
Western_101

ISU has a big theater.

http://bonestudentcenter.illinoisstate. ... aden.shtml

But no need for WIU to overbuild. 1,400 seems about right for the size of Macomb/Western/Region.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:ISU has a big theater.

http://bonestudentcenter.illinoisstate. ... aden.shtml

But no need for WIU to overbuild. 1,400 seems about right for the size of Macomb/Western/Region.
Wow, how did I miss that one. You're right though...doesn't have to be huge, just has to be nice and the right size for our community. Doesn't do us any good to build a 3k seat auditorium if we can only pull 1k people to any event. Better to build something to our size and if we sell out a few big events/shows, then that's a good problem to have.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

Great read about the PAC in the Western Courier today. They even went as far to state that the Science Complex is the next thing on the agenda.

[website]http://www.westerncourier.com/news/it-s ... b2370.html[/website]
Neckfansince71

The westside of Hanson is on the short list and with Tommy Bell at the helm its going to happen. Rumor has it that a design team/architect is taking a look at what exists, what can be used, and what needs to be torn down. The plan not only includes improved seating and a fancy pressbox but also a football building in the north endzone! Were on the upward trail!!!! ;)