Campus situation w/ COVID-19

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

WIU Update [Return to Work/Fall 2020].

Dear WIU Community,

I hope this update finds everyone doing well. We continue to keep our students, faculty, and staff affected by the pandemic in our thoughts, and we will continue to provide resources and assistance to our students who are studying with us this summer and returning this fall.

I want to again offer our congratulations to the WIU Class of 2020. We held our virtual commencement ceremony May 9, and I know many of you tuned in. We are so proud of our students' perseverance and accomplishments, along with the tremendous efforts of our faculty and staff that helped students achieve their goals. Congratulations and thank you.

We are pleased to report a structured return to work as we enter Phase 3 of the Restore Illinois plan. For Western, this means a gradual return to work for employees beginning in June and some limited numbers of students on campus in early July. We will begin bringing back staff who have been unable to work effectively from home, as well as slowly increasing the numbers of employees on campus. Face coverings, social distancing, and other health and safety measures will be in place to ensure a successful and safe reopening. Notices will be sent very soon regarding the protocols and plans. Please speak with your supervisor and Equal Opportunity and Access if you require special accommodations associated with personal health conditions that could impact your ability to safely perform your job.

We are also working on our plans for the 2020-2021 academic year. We fully anticipate holding classes in person this fall, with safety protocols in place and other adjustments, per federal and state guidelines and regulations. In addition to the continuous planning from our health and safety committees, we have several teams of administrators, faculty, and staff developing plans for the safe delivery of our face-to-face schedule this fall. Smaller class sections, better timing for classrooms to eliminate back-to-back use of rooms, greater availability of online sessions, and more are under discussion and in various stages of development. Timelines are subject to change, but we expect to be able to announce more definitive plans within the next few weeks. Watch for updates, information, resources and more at wiu.edu/coronavirus.

Continuing and new student registration is underway, and our first Virtual Summer Orientation session for incoming new students took place yesterday. Other virtual orientation sessions are scheduled throughout the next month, and more sessions will be added as needed so that we can accommodate all incoming students. Staff and faculty are providing outstanding virtual events for our new (and current) students, and our advisers continue to be there for our current and new students through the registration process.

We are looking forward to the day when we can be together once again. I cannot thank our University community enough for your cooperation, dedication and patience as we worked - and continue to work - through this extraordinary situation. I am proud and humbled to serve as your interim president, and work alongside each of you.

Take care,

Martin Abraham
Interim President
wiu712

U Of I Faculty Group Opposes Fall Campus Re-opening.
From NPR Illinois, WUIS-FM:
https://www.nprillinois.org/post/u-i-fa ... -reopening
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU's Multi-Stage Approach Guidelines:

More information

For anyone curious about my personal situation, I've been told I can work from home through pretty much the entire process. I can do my job entirely (and sometimes more efficiently) from home and have my work computer here, so I've actually been getting a lot done job-wise.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

HOPING TO BE BACK.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/202 ... to-be-back
wiu712

WIU readies for the future of sports.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/202 ... -of-sports
wiu712

The University of Missouri reported more than 400 new furloughs and more than 100 new pay cuts Friday as it continues to adjust for the COVID-19 pandemic's economic effects.

MU and MU Health Care have laid off 34 more workers since last Friday, bringing the total to 117.

The university has furloughed 446 more workers, bringing that total to 2,129, and cut the pay of 119 additional workers since last week, bringing total pay cuts to 1,691.

MU officials say layoffs have saved $4.31 million. Furloughs have saved $2.98 million. Pay cuts have said $4.69 million.

MU Athletics has cut $16.5 million from its 2020-2021 budget. Athletics, which is self-funded, has instituted pay cuts, furloughs, and layoffs, as well. The department is taking a three-tiered approach to pay cuts:
*Employees making less than $60,000 will not have their salaries reduced during this time period.
*Employees making $60,000 and up will have their salaries reduced by 7.5 percent.
*Employees making $100,000 and up will have their salaries reduced by 10 percent.
wiu712

Nightmares are beginning for college Athletic Directors as COVID-19 cases are starting up on college campuses as athletes return for the 2020-2021 academic season.

Several universities this week joined a growing list of schools reporting coronavirus cases within their athletic programs.

Arkansas State reported that seven athletes from three sports programs tested positive last Wednesday. They were all asymptomatic and will remain in quarantine for 14 days.

Three football players from Auburn University tested positive. The three athletes are asymptomatic and have been placed in self-isolation in a dorm away from the rest of the team.

Marshall University and Oklahoma State University announced that they each had several athletes test positive.

Iowa State University reported one new case.

At least five players on the University of Alabama football team tested positive for the virus.
wiu712

Western Illinois University to resume in-person classes for Fall 2020.
From WGEM-TV (Quincy):
https://wgem.com/2020/06/09/western-ill ... fall-2020/
wiu712

Illinois Universities Planning For Fall: EIU To Require Masks.
From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
https://www.tspr.org/post/illinois-univ ... uire-masks
wiu712

ISU's 'New Normal' Takes Shape With Re-opening Plan.
From NPR Illinois, WUIS-FM:
https://www.nprillinois.org/post/isus-n ... ening-plan