2020/2021 School Year

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
meganeck

Tere North wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:17 am
wiu712 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:09 pm Washable WESTERN Face Mask.
http://www.wiu.edu/alumni/WIUFaceMask.php
We ordered 2 of each, but be forewarned, they are $15 + $2.50 processing each.
I've bought the disposable masks, is that price a little high then. I'm assuming they are making some profit off of these, any idea what the money is going to
wiu712

WIU purchases filters to help protect against COVID-19.
From KWQC-TV, Davenport:
https://www.kwqc.com/2020/10/01/wiu-pur ... -covid-19/
Tere North

meganeck wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:12 pm
wiu712 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:09 pm Washable WESTERN Face Mask.
http://www.wiu.edu/alumni/WIUFaceMask.php
I've bought the disposable masks, is that price a little high then. I'm assuming they are making some profit off of these, any idea what the money is going to
I've got to imagine there is a considerable profit. I have ordered similar washable, multi-ply masks from other schools at $6 each with a single shipping fee. No idea where the extra money being made is going.
meganeck

Tere North wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:49 pm
meganeck wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:12 pm

I've got to imagine there is a considerable profit. I have ordered similar washable, multi-ply masks from other schools at $6 each with a single shipping fee. No idea where the extra money being made is going.
Oh wow, i guess they are a little more, anyway thanks for letting us know and responding
Western_101

Seriously? People on this board

are asking where the money is going?

Don't buy the mask then.

I'm wondering to myself if people in general think that WESTERN has some sort of Endowment the likes of Notre Dame?

If you have to ask how much it costs "honey" you can't afford it. Move on.
meganeck

Western_101 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:32 am Seriously? People on this board

Don't buy the mask then.

I'm wondering to myself if people in general think that WESTERN has some sort of Endowment the likes of Notre Dame?

I was just curious...Didn't know if just went into the General Fund or if it was some type of fundraiser, Holy Cow lighten up Francis
leatherneckcountry

meganeck wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 am

Don't buy the mask then.

I was just curious...Didn't know if just went into the General Fund or if it was some type of fundraiser, Holy Cow lighten up Francis
I've learned to just ignore him after the private messages he has sent me in the past.
Tere North

Don't buy the mask then.

Seriously, Western 101, we already indicated we bought them. Obviously more to support Western that for need of a face mask. Get of your friggen high horse.
wiu712

Total Student Enrollment -- Fall Term 2020.
http://www.wiu.edu/IRP/enrollments/2021/fall/tdse.php
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:23 pm Total Student Enrollment -- Fall Term 2020.
http://www.wiu.edu/IRP/enrollments/2021/fall/tdse.php
Here's my enrollment tracking spreadsheet for all the public universities in the state:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
The 1-year, 5-year, and 10-year change tabs show % changes over that timeframe for each school.

Total enrollment for all public universities is up .3% (538 students).
EIU - up 10.5%
U of I - up 2.22%
NIU - up .96%
UIC - up .38%
ISU - down .76%
SIU-E - down 1.54%
WIU - down 1.76%
GSU - down 2.37%
SIU-C - down 2.81%
UIS - down 3.02%
NEIU - down 3.97%
CSU - down 11.7% (2,620 students total)

I'm wondering how much longer Chicago State can sustain as a DI school honestly. It feels like what the state needs to do is take CSU and Governors State and merge them into two campuses of one university. They'd have a total of 7,268 students (based on this fall's enrollment), they're about 30 minutes from each other down I-57 (or about 90 minutes if you take the Metra...both have stops on the Metra Electric District (ME) line).

My idea...based on nothing outside of my personal feelings, and not taking into account local politics:

Merge the two schools under the Chicago State name, have Chicago State and Chicago State - University Park (like we have WIU and WIU-QC)

CSU is currently DI in the WAC (huge travel costs) and GSU is NAIA in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (minimal travel costs)...meet in the middle. New CSU athletics should aim for joining the DII GLIAC. GLIAC is almost entirely public universities across Michigan, but also includes nearby schools such as Purdue University-Northwest (just over the Indiana border) and UW-Parkside (just across the Wisconsin border). The GLIAC is also losing a school next year, so they may be interested in adding someone.
In the GLIAC, all but 3 of the schools are "bus distance" (less than 5 hours), with Purdue Northwest being only ~30 minutes away. 3 of the schools in far northern Michigan would probably need to be flights (all are ~7 hours or slightly less via bus), but would be very quick flights. Compare that to a map of the places CSU currently flies to for the WAC (this is a map of the full members, but even with affiliates, the closest schools are in TX or CO):
So, from an athletic standpoint, they'd save a lot on travel costs and they'd save some on fewer scholarships. They'd also stand a chance at actually winning some games (something they haven't done much of in most sports in at least 7-8 years).

Academically, they could split some of the programs between the two. Business would probably be at both (they both currently have fairly large business departments), Education/Teaching at Chicago State, Liberal Arts stuff at the "Governors State campus", etc. Combining many of the administrative offices would also save costs, similarly to how we have some offices in Macomb that handle everything for the QC campus as well (HR, for example) or offices in the QC where they only have a small number of people to do local coordination of things (we have 3 people in QC Admissions, 1 person in QC Academic Advising, etc.)

Anyway, I know there's other things to consider (there's political will behind Chicago State continuing as-is), but it seems to make sense to do something like that.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000