Updates to improvements around campus

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Today Gov. Rauner outlined a second round of cuts if a balanced budget isn't approved by July 1.

Gov. Bruce Rauner says he's gearing up to suspend funding for many state programs and services next month since there's been no budget agreement.

Rauner's office on Friday detailed dozens of grants and services that could be stopped July 1, since the budget lawmakers approved is short billions of dollars. They include capital projects and some types of Medicaid payments.

Among the items on Friday's list:
Effective July 1: Suspend capital projects, including construction at state facilities, schools, and colleges.
Neckfansince71

I just don't want to see this project get away! ;) jc
wiu712

The work on the west side of Hanson Field has begun. There is now a scaffold in front of the press box.
vatusay

Any idea on who is performing the work and what is being done? Just a facelift?
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote:Any idea on who is performing the work and what is being done? Just a facelift?
I doubt we could afford much more than a fresh coat of paint right about now, but I don't really know.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

vatusay wrote:Any idea on who is performing the work and what is being done?
During last week's press conference, Matt Tanney mentioned painting and new graphics. I suppose that means that the "Home of the Fighting Leathernecks" that appears on the front of the press box will be updated. The wooden benches in Sections A, B, F, and G will be painted.

Not sure who is doing that work. Perhaps it is our own Physical Plant.
WIU0812

My guess is it is the physical plant workers doing this.
Neckfansince71

We will finally get a look at the facilities report in the very near future! ;) jc
WIU0812

I sure hope the master plan comes out and is promising. I am still determined that they need to move the West Stands all the way against the fence of track when they rebuild. We are talking about 30 feet closer to the action and that much better entertainment. It seems small but lines of sight are all that matters in live sports. If you do not plan for the future at least 25 years out you are wasting money and not thinking about the future of the athletics programs. Do we really want to spend 15 million dollars to have people say "boy they could have done these few things and these stands would be very nice." We are not a high school or a DIII school wake up WIU and get out there to talk to the fans and other schools who have done similar improvements. I realize that the money is not there, but building something that obviously is lacking is still not worth it.

On other news I hear the last two projects bid by the school were once again over budget. Are we making realistic budgets??? That is three projects in a row that have been over budget. Starting with the Performing Arts Center, then the Henninger Concrete Deck Repairs failed and now the Q Lot Improvements are over budget..... Come on one of these has to be able to be awarded is there really no competitive bids coming in for concrete and landscaping work??? Things are getting very gloomy and sad over WIU as the projects keep taking a hit. That is my rant after being off the site for a little while.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:I sure hope the master plan comes out and is promising. I am still determined that they need to move the West Stands all the way against the fence of track when they rebuild. We are talking about 30 feet closer to the action and that much better entertainment. It seems small but lines of sight are all that matters in live sports. If you do not plan for the future at least 25 years out you are wasting money and not thinking about the future of the athletics programs. Do we really want to spend 15 million dollars to have people say "boy they could have done these few things and these stands would be very nice." We are not a high school or a DIII school wake up WIU and get out there to talk to the fans and other schools who have done similar improvements. I realize that the money is not there, but building something that obviously is lacking is still not worth it.

On other news I hear the last two projects bid by the school were once again over budget. Are we making realistic budgets??? That is three projects in a row that have been over budget. Starting with the Performing Arts Center, then the Henninger Concrete Deck Repairs failed and now the Q Lot Improvements are over budget..... Come on one of these has to be able to be awarded is there really no competitive bids coming in for concrete and landscaping work??? Things are getting very gloomy and sad over WIU as the projects keep taking a hit. That is my rant after being off the site for a little while.
Surely we can come up with some good news regarding that Student Union Dike Re-Construction Flood Control Project? Right? I don't think that one needed to be budgeted. LOL
Embrace the pace of the race.