Horn Field Campus Improv.

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
WIU0812

looks like they are planning a year long fundraiser to help fund a new building out at the off campus facility.

http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=11899
sealhall74

I don't know what the parking situation is like out there, but here is a thought for next year. Hold the "Old Stomping Ground Run Around" at Horn on the soft and comfy hiking trails. Running up and close and intimate alongside nature is always more fun than pounding the asphalt and concrete. Much better for the knees and ankles as well as long as there are no hidden tree roots to trip you up. I was out this PM pounding some asphalt trying to get ready for the Homecoming 5K. Something about running up even mild inclines on solid pavement does not agree with me. Does not seem to bother me when I do it on softer hiking trails even on steeper inclines, probably because I am on my toes a little more putting less stress on the calves and achilles. ST, please tell me there are no steep hills on the Homecoming 5K.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Well, here's the route: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/537879472
The biggest uphill segments are heading north on Western Avenue past Corbin/Olson and up past Browne Hall, and then later going past the football stadium and around the union up to Murray. So it kinda depends on your definition of "steep". I don't consider them steep, but I run around campus 3-4 times a week, so I'm used to it.

I don't know how good the trails are out at Horn, but I know that the ROTC held a trail run at Spring Lake in the spring, so that's apparently a location that works. The problem though is that there's a lot of students that never go out to Horn Field, so for them, that wouldn't be their "Old Stomping Grounds". It would be easier on the joints, but unfortunately wouldn't fit the "theme" of the run.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:Well, here's the route: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/537879472
The biggest uphill segments are heading north on Western Avenue past Corbin/Olson and up past Browne Hall, and then later going past the football stadium and around the union up to Murray. So it kinda depends on your definition of "steep". I don't consider them steep, but I run around campus 3-4 times a week, so I'm used to it.

I don't know how good the trails are out at Horn, but I know that the ROTC held a trail run at Spring Lake in the spring, so that's apparently a location that works. The problem though is that there's a lot of students that never go out to Horn Field, so for them, that wouldn't be their "Old Stomping Grounds". It would be easier on the joints, but unfortunately wouldn't fit the "theme" of the run.
Thanks, ST for putting the route map together. How hard would it be to change the theme to something like "Old Timer Stroll Through the Knoll"? ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Well, they do have a 1.5 mile walk, if you'd rather do that. So that kinda fits the bill of a "stroll".
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000