Sandbagging Needed at the Union!

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

I guess that we can file this under "OOOPS!"
http://tspr.org/post/wiu-renovations-do ... er?nopop=1
sealhall74

Reminds me of my situation here at home about 20 years back. My water heater in the basement level sprung a leak. The drain was less than two feet away from it. Think the water flowed toward the drain? Not a drop of it! Now I have a drip pan underneath the water heater. Unfortunately, if it overflows, I am "hosed again.
Embrace the pace of the race.
basfan445

Unfortunately that's kind of embarrassing. I agree that it is the contractors fault and that they should have to pay for it and fix it or at least partial payment to fix it. An old classmate of mines dad and his too is attached to the construction companies name so maybe Ill have to say something to him:P
WIU0812

This almost definitely not going to be paid for by the school. Basically in the contracts it is laid out that if items like this happens whoever is at fault, which is very rarely a owner and in this case is not WIU, pays for the correction of the issue. So either the engineer or the contractor will be losing a lot of money due to their mistake. The biggest issue with this is going to be the fact that it is close to winter which will make it hard to do this unless it happens almost immediately. Hopefully they can get this worked out and they will have to rip all of the concrete and tubing out and redo it all and then re pour the concrete and make sure it is able to cure properly.
wiu712

Headline story in today's (Oct 3) Western Courier:
"Renovation Flaws Flood Union"
http://www.westerncourier.com/news/reno ... f6878.html
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just received this email from Facilities Management:
Facilities Management will be closing the new Northwest entrance to the University Union to rectify the patio deck on Tuesday, March 24, 2015. Please be cautious around the project site. The access to the ramp and patio will be out of commission for approximately 2-3 months. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please be patient during renovations as every effort is being made to reduce the interruptions to your day, but it will be challenging.

All routing of faculty, staff, and students will go through the lower ADA accessible Northeast entrance (Union Plaza entrance). All Union services will be operating on normally scheduled business hours.
So, construction starting soon to repair the new patio area. Even if it goes past current schedule, it should still be done by the start of the fall semester and football season.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000