Sat 10:30 a.m. Homecoming Parade
23%
Sat Noon-3 p.m. Alumni Cookout
15%
Sat 3 p.m. Football Game
23%

Total votes: 13
sealhall74

Homecoming week is now in progress. What events are you doing this year? These are the ones I know of.

*The poll only allows 10 items and there is a Homecoming Concert as well. Not sure of details. Maybe someone can help me.

One other event that I will look into is an "Open House" where our very own "Rocky" will be showing off his new crib:

http://www.westerncourier.com/news/rock ... b2370.html
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Concert Info: https://purplepost.wiu.edu/organization ... ils/296420

Other events going on this weekend:

Friday at 5PM: Swimming & Diving "Purple and Gold Intra-squad Meet" at Brophy Hall Pool

Friday at 7PM: Volleyball vs IPFW at Brophy Hall

Friday and Saturday at 7:30PM: "Make Me a Song: The Music of William Finn" at Simpkins Studio Theatre

Saturday at 11AM: Swimming & Diving "Alumni Meet" at Brophy Hall Pool

Saturday at Noon: Men's Soccer vs IPFW

Saturday at 7:30PM: Western Illinois University Singers and Madrigal Singers Concert at COFAC Recital Hall
WIU0812

The concert is another rap group... it is almost to bad that they do not let the alumni have a vote in the band since it is a "homecoming" for alumni and I feel that most would not have gone with this group. Though I could definitely be wrong and may just have different taste in music.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:The concert is another rap group... it is almost to bad that they do not let the alumni have a vote in the band since it is a "homecoming" for alumni and I feel that most would not have gone with this group. Though I could definitely be wrong and may just have different taste in music.
Well, he does have a song entitled "Blood, Sweat, and Tears" and that title might evoke certain emotions from old-timer alumni. I just watched it on Youtube. Not too bad. Yes, the language is about what you would expect:

[youtube][/youtube]

Frankly, if the guy is good enough to bring on your campus, he deserves more promotion than what I see.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

So who actually picks the featured act to bring to WIU for homecoming? I see it says the Black Student Association is the one who is bringing him to the school this year. Were they the one elected to pick or how does all of that work? I know I was in town for the homecoming with the 2 Chainz concert and everyone that I knew who were still in school were making fun of him coming to the school. As I said this is from my point of view obviously there was a lot of people who enjoyed it and had a good time I am sure.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure that it's not really Western bringing the rap groups. They're sponsored by, organized by, and acts are chosen by the BSA. Because of this, they invite acts that they think that the students that they represent would enjoy.
They get permission from the university to have the concert on campus and have the university box office sell tickets for them, but it's not really the university bringing them in.

If you want to see someone else at Western for Homecoming, then you'd probably want to talk to BCA and see if they can schedule someone for Friday before Homecoming or something.

I'm hoping that once the Center for Performing Arts is completed in a few years, we'll be able to see someone performing there on Friday night, and then the BSA having their regular Homecoming show at Western Hall on Saturday night. Would be easier than trying to tear down one show and setting up another in the course of 1 day.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Weather Report for the weekend:

Rain is expected on Weds and Thurs. Quincy TV is saying that the rain could be heavy. Maybe 1-2 inches. If we get rain like that, sandbagging will be needed at the Union.

The overnight low for Friday night/Saturday morning will be 43. So it will be the perfect weather on Saturday morning for wearing those Purple "WESTERN" sweatshirts at the parade. Will be partly cloudy and low 60's in the afternoon.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4d845986b9