Remind me again

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Superneck

with the huge "improvements" at the Union (which I read in the Courier at Homecoming were done so well that a couple of good rainstorms flooded the place, there is essentially a ghost town on the lower level with what was once a theatre showing movies not effectively being used...a former billiards and game room shuttered and no longer there and a shuttered and decaying bowling alley. I mean I think that lower level is a disgrace. Heck I even took bowling as a gen ed class to get it out of the way. Someone, remind me again why all of that was shuttered.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Because what you see now is the completed Phase I out of IV. There's three more phases of construction that are supposed to take place over the coming years. Part of that will be reconstruction of the lounge area on the ground floor of the north side of the Union, likely building a smaller bowling alley in the current student organizations area (where I think there used to be a bowling alley years ago) and repurposing the current bowling alley and billiards area for something else. There's other stuff in the plan, but essentially, this is just a good place to "pause" construction until more funding can be rounded up.

Also, the problems with the flooding of the "patio" area are not Western's fault. The issue lies either with the designer who didn't put in enough of an outward slope, or the builder who didn't actually implement it the correct way. That area is going to be rebuilt probably next summer, at the expense of whoever was actually at fault (again, not Western).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:Part of that will be reconstruction of the lounge area on the ground floor of the north side of the Union, likely building a smaller bowling alley in the current student organizations area (where I think there used to be a bowling alley years ago).
You are correct. In the original 1962 portion of the Union, there was an 8-lane bowling alley in the area now occupied by the Student Organization Center.

When the Union addition was completed in the late 60's, a 16 alley bowling center was constructed. And the existing 8-lane bowling center was converted into a Billiards and Game area.
Neckfansince71

Phase 2 is all about redevelopment of those areas downstairs along with the addition and redesign of the north entranceway. This would be an addition that would include more areas to sit outside and enjoy the sights! ;) jc
wiu712

Update on the new brick pillars at West Adams & Western Avenue (between the band practice field and Olson):

A block "W" has been added on the south side of both brick pillars.
Neckfansince71

Well I think they did a really good job with the new parking lot! W columns, brick medians, and black fence along with the landscaping really dress it up and will provide a nice picture in the future as the trees grow. The same treatment that you see in this area will be used in the north end of campus on University Drive in years to come. I really like the uniformity that has taken place on campus, from trash and recycle cans to lamp posts. They are definitely following the strategic plan. Now lets throw some dirt around for the CPA! ;) jc
WIU0812

Pictures?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

You can check out the photos on the project page: http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/CPA_ParkingLot.php

Scroll to the bottom and check out the last 7 or so photos.

Specifically, here it is the first night open:

And here is what the columns look like:

wiu712

That new parking lot is very well lit.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, and it looks like the brick columns will be getting similar lighting fixtures as what's on the new entryway.

Here's that, if you don't remember what the lighting looks like on it: