Program cuts

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's the athletics budget and expenses for last fiscal year: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/128 ... budget.pdf

It doesn't split things out as much as I'd like...for example, I'd really like to see, by team, how much revenue they bring in by things like ticket sales, private donations, public funding (student fees, institutional/state support), etc.

So, if we could see exactly how much each team themselves make...like, the volleyball team has expenses of $81,959...how much of that is covered by ticket sales; does football or basketball actually make a profit and is able to put some money into the other sports; do student fees make up the majority of that $?

If you look at football, for example, total expenses are listed at $3,063,540, but total revenue is also $3,063,540. I highly doubt we actually break exactly even...but does football technically loose money and get made up for by student funds and private donations? Does football actually make money and they just take anything extra and put it into other sports?

Not trying to make a case for cutting a sport or whatever, I'm really just curious as to how the athletics department operates.

I wonder if that data would be available by something like a FOIA request (but for state data).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

I completely agree it would be nice to see the direct costs and profits broken up and have someone put together something on the indirect costs and profits (more obscure items such as increased sales at book store on days of football or basketball games or attracting non-athlete students by inviting them to watch a football game).

This is very interesting and does help shed some light on the expenses. I am guessing that they basically wipe it to zero using student fees along with balancing any profits made by the sports. Would be nice to see just a profit vs expense sheet that has nothing to do with what the school fees add in.
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:The volleyball team has expenses of $81,959...how much of that is covered by ticket sales?
The only sports at Western that charge admission are football and men's/women's basketball.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote:The volleyball team has expenses of $81,959...how much of that is covered by ticket sales?
The only sports at Western that charge admission are football and men's/women's basketball.
Did they in years past? I could have sworn that there was a table set up at the entrance to the Brophy Gym for a match that I attended a while back (like maybe 6-8 years ago). But maybe it was just for a raffle/drawing thing or for donations or something.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:Did they in years past? I could have sworn that there was a table set up at the entrance to the Brophy Gym for a match that I attended a while back (like maybe 6-8 years ago).
Your memory is correct! There had been a $5 admission to the volleyball games in past years. I'm not sure when it was dropped. Could have been six or so years ago.
WIU0812

Hopefully the school has a good plan, I just want them to survive the next decade and hopefully Illinois can get a plan in place to correct the mess we are all in and then the school can begin to flourish again. I have been seeing a good number of articles about universities closing around the nation though and as mentioned before if this was a business it would not last long. The school needs to make its education a product that the students(consumers) want to obtain and to do that it needs to stand out as a better school than just partying. There are a lot of parents that wont send their kids to WIU even if the kids want to go due to the still standing idea that it is a crazy party school when it is not different than any other school.
Tere North

The Athletic Fee charged to incoming students at the Macomb campus who started Fall 2014 is $17.43/credit hr. Based on the 15hr/semester needed to graduate in 4 years, this means each student pays $522.90/yr into the Athletic budget. The amounts are different depending on when a student starts because of our fee guarantee policy that compliments the tuition guarantee, but for round numbers, we could say $500/yr. If we also use easy to multiply number approximates of 10,000 students, that means students are pumping close to $5 million into the Athletic budget each year.
WIU0812

That is definitely something interesting to hear I know the school proposed additional increases to student fees and it was just shot down by the SGA because of the athletics increase being much higher than technology. Students also have to take in to account that they can go to any athletic event for free which is not true of a lot of DI organizations I don't believe. I am sure it is more common at the size of school of WIU compared to U of I. I would be interested in seeing all these numbers compared to say ISU or SIUC or Eastern.
Tere North

From each university's website, as was done with the WIU info:

At Eastern, Athletic fee for students is $103.65/semester or $207.30/yr with 8,913 students Fall 2014, so about $1.8 million/yr pumped into the Athletics budget.

At Illinois State, Athletic fee for students is $19.42/hr or $582.60/yr with 20,271 students Fall 2014, so about $11.6 millions/yr pumped into the Athletics budget.

At SIU-Carbondale, Athletic fee for students is $315.00/semester or $615.00/yr with 17,989 students Fall 2014, so about $10.8 million/yr pumped into the Athletics budget.
WIU0812

I guess it appears we are about par on this. Wonder how EIU keeps theirs so low and still maintains teams.