Program cuts

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
VoiceOfReasonFan

I love the idea of an engineering school at Western. Partially because I AM an engineer. But WIU's program has quite a ways to go before it gets to a point where it's competing against other regional engineering programs. I'm a civil engineer, therefore, I want to hire a civil engineer graduate with the words "BS - Civil Engineering" on the degree that was based on a civil engineering curriculum; not a general engineering one with a "civil" emphasis. The WIU engineering program is listed as a "signature program"; the reasons given for that designation? 1) High demand academic program. 2) ABET accredited. 3)... and this one is my favorite, "The only engineering program at a public institution in western region of Illinois." Really? If that's how you're competing, you're in trouble! If my kid was wanting to be an engineer and after 2 years at WIU-Macomb had the opportunity to go to the Quad Cities or one of the engineering schools the physic's department has transfer agreements worked out with, namely Illinois and Iowa, it would be an absolute no-brainer. Maybe that changes over time, but for now it's a sticky situation. Keep the kid at your sister campus for 2 more years, or help them get into a situation that is better for their immediate job prospects? (leading to potentially more endowment givings, etc.)

I have other concerns as well; the biggest being is it cannibalizing Macomb based programs in Engineering Technology (I'd argue a weak math-based general engineering program is essentially an engineering technology program) or 3-2/2-2 Engineering (through the physics department)? On the cannibalizing note, Construction Management is an interesting program. Some schools offer it as an emphasis within a civil engineering program, some offer it like WIU-Macomb as a stand alone degree NOT engineering based (ie, lighter on physics and math), and some offer it as a 2 year certificate/associates degree program. Basically, a lot of differing opinions on what level of education it takes to "manage construction". Might I add that some of the best "managers of construction" I've run into as an engineer have none of the three. Let me back track a little though and say, I've also seen the immense value of educated construction managers as well. I hope you're as confused as I am.

Anyways, love the idea, but worried about what it'll take to get it to the level it needs to be at.
leatherface

So, what types of jobs would a WIU general engineering grad expect as opposed to a grad in civil engineering or other engineering programs?
wiu712

Today's Peoria Journal-Star had an article saying that Gov Rauner's proposed budget cuts for the state universities would result in some reductions to the athletic program at SIU-Carbondale.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:Today's Peoria Journal-Star had an article saying that Gov Rauner's proposed budget cuts for the state universities would result in some reductions to the athletic program at SIU-Carbondale.
That's odd that they'd single out SIU-C. Do they get a larger % of their athletics budget from the state than the rest of the state universities do? Otherwise I'd think that just about all of us would be in the same boat except maybe U of I...which is probably the only public school in the state that does well enough financially in the "revenue" sports to roughly break even as an athletics department.

Still, it's likely that SIU would be looking at cutting back things like cross country, tennis, etc. They're a basketball school for the most part and I highly doubt they'd touch the football team either.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherface

It's always amazing when schools start to cut sports, to "save money", they pick the sports with the fewest participants and less cost to maintain- cross country, tennis, track and field and may be swimming etc. What about the larger ticket sports that have more costs- equipment etc, that bring in virtually no revenue nor have any spectators to speak of- baseball, softball for example. Oh, I forgot, they are useful in attracting students to help enrollment!

If a school really is concerned about resources, get rid of the baseball, softball, swimming, track and field, tennis and golf teams. Pour everything into basketball (men and women),volleyball and football- and maybe soccer men and women.

Again, when you think about it, why should a school with limited resources send teams on trips to the Dakota's, Colorado and Oklahoma, when there are plenty of schools in the Midwest region. Would a business operate in this way?
WIU0812

I love baseball but u have a point the team travels so much and has so many games its hard to justify sports like this when schools are hurting so bad.
Tere North

It is really any harder to justify baseball/softball than it is the justify football. 100 student athletes on the team with 63 full scholarships at the FCS level, , 15-20+ coaches, 10-12 games. Football is by far the most expensive sport.
vatusay

Leatherface, your last sentence absolutely nails my feelings on how the entire university is ran top to bottom. If it were an actual business it wouldn't last three months.

My .02
#ALLIN #YOLO
WIU0812

Tere North wrote:It is really any harder to justify baseball/softball than it is the justify football. 100 student athletes on the team with 63 full scholarships at the FCS level, , 15-20+ coaches, 10-12 games. Football is by far the most expensive sport.
Easier to justify football because they actually make some money, they may not break even but between money games and sales they make more than every sport combined. Baseball which most likely makes almost 0 and has more games and more traveling though I am guessing travel expenses are similar due to so.many players on football. Though we def need to find a way to break even or make profit.
Tere North

WIU0812 wrote:Easier to justify football ... they make more than every sport combined.
And cost more than every sport combined. I wonder who to find out the net loss of each program. NCAA has it overall for sports, but I'd like to see what it is for WIU. From a profitability standpoint, I'd venture that Basketball is likely the most profitable - they get money games, too, and expenses are much, much less in terms of staff, equipment, scholarships, and travel.