Campus Improvements - Hanson Field West Stands

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just a place to talk about the cleaning/repainting of the Hanson Field Press Box area. No photos yet, but I'll try to take a few shots tomorrow evening when I'm out running.

As [user]Neckfansince71[/user] mentioned in another thread though:
There is picture of someone power washing the west stands in preparation to paint on the Facilities Management Facebook page. You can also expect some large graphics on the outside of the west side. Maybe it's lipstick on a pig but it sure points to the fact that Matt cares about how things look. Would rather have a total facelift but this will do for now!
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

The first 9 photos are from today's Heritage Days parade. A large group of Western athletes were in the parade.
https://www.facebook.com/goleathernecks ... e_internal
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's a few photos that I shot of the work on the pressbox this morning: https://imgur.com/a/mf5p4

Looks like they've cleaned off a lot of the old paint on the back "railing" at the top of the stands as well as much of the pressbox.
WIU0812

Thanks for the photos Scott. It kind of looks like they replaced bunch of the wooden bleachers?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:Thanks for the photos Scott. It kind of looks like they replaced bunch of the wooden bleachers?
It's possible, although it's hard for me to tell. I always sit by the band, so I honestly can't remember the last time I sat in the west stands for anything.
WIU0812

Anyone think they ought to paint this a nice deep purple instead of a nasty pee looking yellow like they did before?? I hope that they can use our colors a little better than before as this will most likely still be standing for another few years.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:Anyone think they ought to paint this a nice deep purple instead of a nasty pee looking yellow like they did before?? I hope that they can use our colors a little better than before as this will most likely still be standing for another few years.
I think I would bring in Trent Call to do the painting work. I saw his efforts on the walls of the Park City, UT pedestrian tunnels. Incredible. If you are running or biking through, you just have to stop and admire.

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_21311983/o ... pedestrian

http://trentcall.com/

Do that and I guarantee a few extra folks will be meandering around the walls of the west-side stands before and after the game.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

We had a good week for progress on any and all projects. I think there was only one night with a small amount of rain. I would expect this project would be close to getting ready for paint which will be good to see what they were able to do with basically nothing.
wiu712

WIU0812 wrote:It kind of looks like they replaced bunch of the wooden bleachers?
I stopped by Hanson Field tonight (July 3).

The wooden benches remain in Sections A, B, F, and G. No change has been made to them. Most of those wooden benches are in very poor condition. Sections C and E have had aluminum benches for quite some time. And Section D has the Purple seat backs.

The lower part of the concrete façade (by the sidewalk) has been painted a light tan. The upper part has been painted white.

No change has been made to the backside of the grandstand. It remains an unsightly mess. The storage area underneath the stands does have some aluminum benches stacked up. But there does not appear to be enough to completely replace all of the wooden benches in Sections A, B, F, and G.

The scaffolding was still in place in front of the press box. The graphics above the press box used to say "Home of the Fighting Leathernecks". Now only the word "Leathernecks" remains.

The altered USMC Insignia (with the bulldog head on the Globe) remains on the 50 yard line. I did notice during the recent Heritage Days parade that the football uniforms have that Insignia on the upper back.

The patio work on the north side of the Murray Street Café and the Lamoine Room has not been started. There were several sandbags placed in front of the doors. The plan had been to re-do the patio this summer so that the water does not flow back into the building.
wiu712

I was surprised to see that the stage for the 4th of July entertainment had been set up in front of the west side stands at Hanson Field.

I know that has been the past practice. But this year, the west stands have been essentially a Work Zone.

It might have been a better (and safer) idea to stage the entertainment on the east side this year.