Campus Improvements - Hanson Field West Stands

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:
RedNeck wrote:Hey ST Lawson, have you been by Hanson Field recently to view the painting/refurbishing of the West side?
I would like to something done to better highlight the memorial plaque that is on the south end of the grandstand--by the wheelchair access entry into Section A. This plaque goes back to 1950 and lists the names of those Western students who were killed in WW1 and WW2.
Personally, what I've always thought would be awesome is to take the circle area just south of the field (here: https://goo.gl/maps/GzMfA) where the flagpoles are and put a statue of "Rock" Hanson in the middle of the circle, standing there, looking north towards the field. Then, along the wall behind the statue and between the flagpoles (or maybe on freestanding signs between the flagpoles), you move the existing plaque and add another one in the same style that highlight the names of Western students killed in later conflicts: Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, Iraq/Afghanistan, etc.

I took my 15 minute afternoon break and just walked up to the stadium to get a few photos to show what I mean and what's going on there currently.

Here's the plaque that wiu712 is talking about for those who aren't aware:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/DnO4ARI.jpg[/imgur]

Here's the area where I'm talking about putting the statue and the plaques (statue would be right about where the Deere cart is sitting):

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/oZTLVEk.jpg[/imgur]

Also, here's what the pressbox area looks like currently (note the additional coats of paint added to the back wall so that it's a solid white now):

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/phCrRo1.jpg[/imgur]

And for those who are curious, here's the banner on the back of the pressbox currently:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/xdI2RZ7.jpg[/imgur]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

Well that is disappointing I figured they would try to do some crazy paint job to at least make it easily noticeable to that something was different. O well fresh paint is better than nothing even if it is just a tiny bit better.
sealhall74

Yep, that flag pole area screams loud for something to be added to it. Statue of Rock, Sherman, small scale Marine Corp Memorial replication. Maybe those bricks in the wall could be lettered or etched to give people walking by something to admire. Frankly speaking, even a mobile hotdog stand in that area on game days would be a big improvement. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

Thanks ST Lawson. I appreciate the pictures. Also, I fully agree with you with regards to how to best use that circular area in the hill South of Hanson Field.
Western_101

I wonder if there will be any block lettering on the front of the press box spelling out "Hanson Field home of the Fighting Leathernecks"? or some variation.

At least the power washing and new coat of paint will make the West side somewhat less embarrassing and give the impression that it hasn't been abandoned or condemned. I am assuming it hasn't been condemned. The last thing the University would need is someone to fall down the crumbling stairs with no hand rails, seriously hurt themselves and sue the University for millions. How much would that set back the new construction?
wiu712

RedNeck wrote:I wonder if there will be any block lettering on the front of the press box spelling out "Hanson Field home of the Fighting Leathernecks"? or some variation.
New block lettering going up this week above the press box. It used to read "Home of the Fighting Leathernecks".
WIU0812

Looks like they are trying to match sign above video board so probably had letters made in house as well
wiu712

I checked out the new block lettering "WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY" that is now above the press box.

The letters are a whitish-silver in color--probably to match the lettering that appears in the arc above the scoreboard.

The new lettering does not really stand out well against the pale yellow color of the press box. Perhaps going with Purple lettering would have been a better idea.
Tere North

Yes wiu712, especially since our tagline is Think Purple.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:I checked out the new block lettering "WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY" that is now above the press box.

The letters are a whitish-silver in color--probably to match the lettering that appears in the arc above the scoreboard.

The new lettering does not really stand out well against the pale yellow color of the press box. Perhaps going with Purple lettering would have been a better idea.

Maybe they used one of those newfangled "chameleon" paints that changes color depending on light source and viewing angle.
Embrace the pace of the race.