Campus Improvements - Hanson Field West Stands

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

Just my curiosity, but what are all of those "portholes" (for lack of a better term) underneath the windows in the press box used for? I can only think of a couple things. One, they allow paper, stats, power/camera cables to be passed through although that looks to be a tricky operation for those on the top level. Two, ventilation. Damn, I won't be able to sleep tonight if I can't figure this one out.

Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

Having worked up there - ventilation!
sealhall74

Tere North wrote:Having worked up there - ventilation!
Are there exhaust fans or just open air?

You may call me crazy for saying this, but we need someone in the know to do a nice spotlight article on the history of the press box. Interview people who were part of the process for getting it put up and those who have toiled in there over the years. Be as detailed as possible, whether good or bad (e.g., were the portholes part of the original design?). Put the article in each and every football program that is sold this year. The idea is not to make us look bad but rather to increase the exposure and let people know that we are on a long journey to improve things around campus but need help to make it happen. Am I crazy to think such things? Maybe. But I am also a guy who thinks that stuffing away the Confederate flag does more harm than good in the long run (i.e. past mistakes are too often repeated without a solid historical perspective to rely on).

You probably don't know the answer to this one, but does the sprucing up around Hanson include putting a big bold W on those purple seats? I would be willing to fund up to $1K for such a project on my own if it is not already done or on the current ToDo list. Hopefully we will proudly shoot our 2015 team photo with the players in the west side stands this year. OK, that is all from the east coast.
WIU0812

Has there been enough progress made to warrant some new photos of the renovations?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:Has there been enough progress made to warrant some new photos of the renovations?
Not that I could tell at this point. Ran past last night and all that I could see was that the back wall had been painted white. I'm sure (well...I hope) that there's more planned, but it hasn't been done at this point. Could be waiting for the summer SOAR programs to finish up (two-day orientation programs for new incoming students...last one is yesterday and today) before they do more work on it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

I stopped by the campus last night (Friday, July 10).

I did not notice much different with the soccer field. There was a big hose rolled up below the scoreboard. Members of the soccer team were on the adjacent practice field.

There is now a new banner on the backside of the Hanson Field press box: "There is only one Leatherneck athletics".

Scaffolding is still in place in front of the press box.

The patio on the north side of the Murray Street Café and Lamoine Room is unchanged. There are still sandbags in front of the door.

Work continues on the front porch extension at the Alumni House.

This is a Freshmen Orientation Weekend. So there are lots of new freshmen and their families in town. Orientation is a 2-day program. New freshmen are paired up and stay in the dorms. Families have the option of staying in Corbin/Olson, but they are not on the same floors as the new freshmen.
Last edited by wiu712 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neckfansince71

Just go to the Facilities Management page and click on Miscellaneous Projects. There are 5 pics of the painting process. To be honest with you, the "old" Hanson Field pressbox looks pretty good with a new paint job. I also like the white walls. Maybe its time to make the most of what we currently have while waiting for the renovation. Leaving it in a state of disrepair in retrospect definitely did little to improve and help the athletic department's image. If the Necks can make it a habit of qualifying for the NCAA playoffs the funds for the renovation will follow! ;)
wiu712

Here are those photos of the press box as noted above by NFS71.
http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/fm/misc_proj.php

The wooden benches in Sections A, B, F, and G are in horrendous condition: badly splintered, etc.

The backside of the west grandstand remains unchanged. Not a very attractive sight for people entering the stadium from the southwest gate (by the Union).
sealhall74

I can speak from experience when it comes to painting wooden bleachers exposed to the outdoors. A lot of things can go wrong and they did for me about 40 years ago at my old HS. Too much sun and/or moisture in the wood and the paint will blister on you in a heartbeat, especially if using oil-based paints. The wood must be totally dry to start with and the work probably should be done only at night but not one of those August nights when there is a lot of accumulating dew on the ground. That probably means on-call overtime for all those union guys. We can't catch a break.

Sorry guys, this one is outside my budget but if we can't replace the whole thing within five years, I would definitely look into vinyl replacement caps for the wood and aluminum we have now. A nice pattern of purple and gold would work. Finish it off with some hand rails and no skid paint in the aisles and declare victory FOR NOW.

I am still looking at the Krylon paint options for those purple plastic seats we have at mid-field. I hope to have my big W sketched out by tomorrow assuming I survive tonigh's 5K.

Never hurts to dream in this world.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:Finish it off with some hand rails and no skid paint in the aisles and declare victory FOR NOW.
Both would be HUGE safety additions.