Campus Improvements - Hanson Field West Stands

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

If I got the numbers right (31 across and 20 rows), here is my Big W for Section D. Not too shabby.

[tweet]620275904833568769[/tweet]
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

Or maybe a Big W in pink would look good. We wouldn't be the first to do such a thing:

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/nfl ... 0000408023

Could wait and paint'em up the same time we "paint the paws". But if someone is sitting in those seats, it needs to be done rather well, not necessarily professionally, just well (no runs, drips, or errors if you know what I mean). Maybe we could bring in some Krylon reps along with Johnny Bench for a little added publicity.
WIU0812

I am guessing if they did anything like making a W they would not be painting the seats, but replacing those that would need to be yellow.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:I am guessing if they did anything like making a W they would not be painting the seats, but replacing those that would need to be yellow.
$200+/seat replacement vs. ~$5/seat the Krylon/Rustoleum way (labor costs extra). No brainer IMO.

812, another thing we could look into is whether the gold seats in Western Hall are compatible with the purple ones at Hanson. If they are, swap and end up with a Big W at both places.
WIU0812

sealhall74 wrote:
WIU0812 wrote:I am guessing if they did anything like making a W they would not be painting the seats, but replacing those that would need to be yellow.
$200+/seat replacement vs. ~$5/seat the Krylon/Rustoleum way (labor costs extra). No brainer IMO.

812, another thing we could look into is whether the gold seats in Western Hall are compatible with the purple ones at Hanson. If they are, swap and end up with a Big W at both places.
That is true I just do not see them taking a can of spray paint to the seats, though it may be that easy. I just hope this is not a 5 year fix and that we are able to come up with the money we need soon. I just am shocked in the lack of fundraising efforts and items like that. Even if they have not found a corporate sponsor or two that is willing to help with the stands I think they should be raising money for a few years in an effort to see what kind of support they are going to get. It is almost as if they are embarrassed to release a preliminary drawing. Just release something get the excitement there and have a few major events and peak times where you collect money for the future stands and see what happens.

I stand by the idea of selling bricks for donations and see how many you can sell. Have a bunch of blank ones and even after it is built you can sell bricks and continue to raise money for maintenance and what not. I think this is one of the greatest ways to build a new sports building and involve the fans while raising funds. It is a item that the individuals can see as long as the building stands and even show their kids when they get older. Example below if you do not remember what I am talking about. You could probably charge up to around 100 and sell a bunch of these.
AR-310119905.jpg
AR-310119905.jpg (189.55 KiB) Viewed 6226 times
sealhall74

812, I agree. Bricks are a great idea. But a lot of students/parents/alumni don't care too much about sports so they would probably not go for them in or around a sports facility. Having several designated honorary brick walls or walk areas around campus may be more enticing for them to kick in some bucks. I have always thought that Western needs some sort of university-owned and operated commercial venture to give students hands-on business experience as well as to bring in added revenue (SDSU has their dairy farm and they manufacture and sell ice cream, cheese, etc.) Maybe our Ag Farm does something like that, not sure. Screw buying the bricks from someone else. Let's make our own bricks and offer them to donators as well as the general public. Probably would cost a little to get the venture off the ground. I know you can make bricks out of plain ol' concrete and that stuff is pretty cheap and can easily be colored with dyes. Would the concrete bricks be durable and allow for some nice looking lettering and/or etching? Not sure about that either. Something to think about.

[youtube][/youtube]
Western_101

Hey ST Lawson, have you been by Hanson Field recently to view the painting/refurbishing of the West side?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:Hey ST Lawson, have you been by Hanson Field recently to view the painting/refurbishing of the West side?
Was by the stadium on Monday, didn't look like there'd been much else done (then again, I didn't think to look that close this time).

There was one odd green pixel lit up on the video board though....so that was weird.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

We need a 360 degree fisheye stadium construction cam with automatic directional sound and/or movement activation. A night vision upgrade would also come in handy. lol
wiu712

RedNeck wrote:Hey ST Lawson, have you been by Hanson Field recently to view the painting/refurbishing of the West side?
The scaffolding is still in place in front of the press box.

Looks like repair/maintenance work has come to a stop--at least for now.

I would like to something done to better highlight the memorial plaque that is on the south end of the grandstand--by the wheelchair access entry into Section A. This plaque goes back to 1950 and lists the names of those Western students who were killed in WW1 and WW2.