Adam St Improvements

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
WIU0812

Not exactly Western news, but it is one of our main entrances. Does anyone have a status update or any pictures of the construction going on here?
sealhall74

I spent a year at 416#C West Adams. Thing I recall most was the "paper thin" walls. I heard way more than I wanted to hear from my next door neighbors. Pretty sure there was nothing but two sheets paneling and some 2x4s between us. LOL
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:Not exactly Western news, but it is one of our main entrances. Does anyone have a status update or any pictures of the construction going on here?
Drove past earlier today. Looks like they have one lane pretty much put down and a good part of the median. The other side (north side) is still about a 1-2 ft drop down to the dirt. Not sure it'll be done in time for the start of school unless they kick it into high gear over the next couple of weeks.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

The month of rain didn't help.

Pretty sure I spotted a curb machine working behind swedes today.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Made a point of running past the Adams Street and Lafayette intersection this morning.

First off, it looks like they did get the road part done before school started. I saw cars driving on it last weekend.
Sidewalks are done...wide and nicer.
They're still working on the median; looks like it'll be a bit narrower than what was illustrated in renderings from the city document a while back. Anyway, took a few photos from around the area....

Here is the intersection of Adams and Johnson, looking East

Almost to the intersection of Adams and McArthur, also looking East

Two angles of the new campus "entry point", looking West from across Lafayette

As you can see, it looks like they're going to put up a column, similar to the ones they have on the south end of Western Avenue (by Olson Hall and the band practice field). Not sure what else they're planning...maybe some nice purple and gold flowers or something. There's also a base for one of the light poles, probably in the style of what's been put up around campus the last couple of years.

The road and sidewalk improvements have been completed from Lafayette to Johnson, which is halfway to the corner of campus at Adams and Charles. For reference, here's the area I'm talking about: https://goo.gl/maps/YN7aa
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

I see they opted out of the colored concrete. Kinda sucks but still is big improvement out there.
Western_101

Thanks for the pics Scott. Looks good.
wiu51

coming from north going south then turning west is a very tight turn. there will a lot of blow out tires there.
vatusay

Or how long will that fancy column last lol.
#ALLIN #YOLO
WIU0812

I am guessing that pillar is almost done given that the pictures were from two weeks ago and it appears whatever they were doing was about half done.