Rock Hanson Statue

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I don't know any details yet (just got done with the 5k, still at the stadium), but Brad Banner announced at the ceremony before the race that they will be installing a Hanson statue in campus. Don't know where, when, what it'll look like, or how big it will be, but it's going to happen.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

I know where you want it installed Scott :D
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:I know where you want it installed Scott :D
hehe...you know it.
Neckfansince71

I am assuming that a Hanson Bronze would look great in the Flag area along with Lee Calhoun! IMO! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

This article about last weekend's race says a little about the statue in the last paragraph: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=12978
At this year's event, Bainter announced that retired WIU Vice President for Administrative Services Jackie Thompson and her husband Dave, both WIU alumni, have made a major commitment to fund the creation of a life-size statue of legendary war hero and long-time WIU coach and athletic director Ray "Rock" Hanson to be placed on the Macomb campus. Hanson's determination and persistence, along with his Marine Corps legacy, helped secure The Fighting Leathernecks as WIU's team name. Western remains the only public school in the U.S. with permission to use the Leathernecks as its nickname.
Neckfansince71

I have changed my mind! I think Rock should be centrally located between the union, rec center, and Hanson Field! Students will end up passing by him everyday on their way to class!
sealhall74

More important that the PLAYERS pass by it on their way to the battle field. The might even touch it or maybe an accompanying bronze plaque to get a little extra "mojo" before going to battle.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:More important that the PLAYERS pass by it on their way to the battle field. The might even touch it or maybe an accompanying bronze plaque to get a little extra "mojo" before going to battle.
Hmmm, could find a spot just south of the rec center, along the sidewalk that people walk along between Q-lot and the stadium. You'd want it to be far enough north along that sidewalk that the football players would still go past it before peeling off and going through the "side" gate entrance that they usually go through. That way, not only would the football team go past it, but so would everyone going to the football stadium from Q-lot. It also wouldn't be too far from Western Hall and the other sporting areas (since he did have an impact on the entire athletics department).
Neckfansince71

Since the university is pretty much staying true to the "strategic plan" I could see it being a part of the athletic quad or varsity walk. There is a spot between the North entrance and Rec. Center where Rock could be placed giving him a good view of Hanson Field. Just a thought! I think this is a great idea!!!! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote:Since the university is pretty much staying true to the "strategic plan" I could see it being a part of the athletic quad or varsity walk. There is a spot between the North entrance and Rec. Center where Rock could be placed giving him a good view of Hanson Field. Just a thought! I think this is a great idea!!!! ;) jc
Agreed. I went back and looked at the last master plan document. Here's what that area is "supposed" to look like eventually...maybe:

And here's the same with what is currently there overlaid:

If they essentially put it right at the corner of Q-lot, around where the little quarter-circle gardens are, then it'd be right where the football team and fans both walk to get to the stadium in both the current and future versions.
Then again, depending on how it's set up, they might be able to move it, if necessary (like they did with the Lee Calhoun statue).