Silly WIU rumor

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I think she meant that Western has a legitimate 18-hole course, not Macomb in general. Macomb actually has 3 courses, all are 18-holes: Western's course, Gold Hills, and the Macomb Country Club. Macomb can support a golf course or two even without Western's, but I think that there's a lot of benefit to the university as a whole with having their own nice 18-hole course.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

I do not see golf being the first to go as I said before. I believe we have 18 sports combined between the mens and womens which means we can drop 3 and still be D1 since football does not have a womens side and is not going anywhere we would have to be at 15 sports. I would say a school in our situation, unless the money is basically free from support or state funds, would be looking to hit the minimum amount of sports in order to maintain facilities and support for those 15 that they decide are the ones they want. I wish we could support 20 plus sports as it is cool when universities have such a variety, I just think at this time in WIU history it will be inevitable that a few may get nixed.
wiu712

Today's Macomb newspaper mentioned that there are 3,000 students at Western who are receiving MAP grants.

There could be big implications if they were not on campus for the spring semester.
Western_101

Wow 1/4 of the university is receiving MAP Grants that seems like a lot.
vatusay

How in the world are grades in high school not taken into account for MAP grants? What a joke. 1/4 of wiu's enrollment that recieves them? Wonder what the graduation rate is.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Honestly, without MAP grants, I doubt I'd have been able to attend Western, and if they'd tied it to high school grades...I definitely wouldn't have gotten in. I wasn't in the top half of my HS class (super lazy about doing homework).
I think there's a lot of good kids out there that just don't have to family support to be able to pay for college themselves and need something like this. If they don't renew MAP grants, I don't think we'd automatically lose all those kids, but those that do stick around would probably have to take out quite a bit more in students loans to be able to stay.
vatusay

does it have to be paid back if student were to drop out?
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I have heard that the university has enough money to go through the end of this school year, but also that they will be covering MAP grants themselves for the spring semester if the funding does not come through. Likely it'll be summer anyway, since even if they do get some kind of budget together in...say, January...Western likely won't actually see any of that money until near the end of the fiscal year. But, MAP grants will be covered for at least one more semester...Western does have at least that much money thankfully (apparently we were pretty "conservative" in terms of spending money vs saving money and have more of a "buffer" than some other schools do).
wiu712

leatherface wrote:A silly rumor is apparently making the rounds on campus that WESTERN will close this spring.
Looks like this rumor is not that "silly" after all.

At Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, President David Glassman recently told lawmakers that without a cash infusion from the state, the school may have to shut down during the spring semester.

The pressure also is on at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, where Chief Financial Officer Alan Phillips says it will be "very difficult" to make it through a full year without state money.

Eastern Illinois has also cut $320,000 from intercollegiate athletics.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote:
leatherface wrote:A silly rumor is apparently making the rounds on campus that WESTERN will close this spring.
Looks like this rumor is not that "silly" after all.

At Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, President David Glassman recently told lawmakers that without a cash infusion from the state, the school may have to shut down during the spring semester.

The pressure also is on at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, where Chief Financial Officer Alan Phillips says it will be "very difficult" to make it through a full year without state money.

Eastern Illinois has also cut $320,000 from intercollegiate athletics.
He did say that, but also: http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/easte ... ing/106375
Essentially, he was exaggerating somewhat to make a point and to try to pressure lawmakers into getting something done sooner rather than later. From everything I've heard from people "in the know", Eastern will also be open this coming Spring semester.