Another way to look at things!

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

I have continually heard we have to cut sports, cut, cut, cut on this board. I really understand the end of Men’s Tennis. Just did not seem cost effective in the long run. But I have a different way, I think, to look at athletics that I don’t think we have ever considered. Bear or bare with me on this!

Total average cost per year for a WIU student is $21089.00! The breakdown is as follows:
$8805 Tuition
$2704 Fees
$5800 Room and Board
$3700 Meal

I am assuming here that a full ride athletic scholarship equals $21089! $21089! So you are thinking, what’s your point!
So we have 31 male track and field athletes and 24 women. There are 26 men and 17 women swimmers. Now I am not sure what the total full ride scholies track and field and swimming get, but I know the women get more than the men in both cases. I have no idea regarding grants and other sources but lets just say that track and field and swimming give 3 full rides (M) and 8 full rides for (F)! That’s 6 and 16, 22 total. I know they are cut up and sliced in all sorts of different ways, but you get the idea. So lets do some math! (31+24+26+17)-22=76 That’s 76 full tuitions paid by Mom and Dad! The total amount happens to be $1,602,764! I know that amount gets cut up and passed around, but 1.5 million for the university just for sponsoring D1 swimming and diving and track and field. Plus all the money spent at Walmart, the union etc. I have no idea what the budgets for these sports are. But lets not forget the fact that these 98 athletes add to not only the total enrollment but also a total of $1,602,764 to the WIU budget! So maybe we don’t want to just cut, cut cut! ;) jc
sealhall74

NFS71, you really are a glass half full kind of guy. I was a math major and you lost me somewhere along the line. Let me throw this out for contemplation.

Another way to save a couple hundred thousand a year is is to bring in a dozen or so mulit-sport athletes. Pay them once - make them work year round. Just like the old days when "Rock" was running things.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Yes, I am a half full kinda guy. Just was trying to point out that in track and field and swimming there are 76 parents that are paying full tuition for their students to participate in D1 athletics! That equate to a simplified 1.6 million paid to the university! jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote:Yes, I am a half full kinda guy. Just was trying to point out that in track and field and swimming there are 76 parents that are paying full tuition for their students to participate in D1 athletics! That equate to a simplified 1.6 million paid to the university! jc
I understand your point. But from there, we can start subtracting coaches salaries, uniform costs, travel expenses, filtering the pool water, ... and see what the bottom line really is.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Guess my point is, there is more to dropping or competing in a sport than meets the eye! Competing in some of the team sports that people want to drop may not be as expensive as was first thought! ;) jc