Good WIU news

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
leatherface

According to the new US World Report rankings, Western has gained some ground. Now, we all know rankings like this can be deceiving,however, parents and students look at them when planning their future. Good to see Western in this top group. I can remember when they were listed as third or fourth tier.

Regional Midwest Rankings of Top Public schools- including Western and others of possible interest:

1- Truman
5-Eastern
9- UIS
10- SIU-e
11-Western

Overall rank (private and public)

8- Truman
30- Eastern
42- UIS
44- SIU-e
46- Western

These lists don't include what's referred to as national universities.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Also, how our ranking compares with MVFC schools on the "Regional Universities" list:

#18 UNI
#46 WIU
#64 MSU

Youngstown State is unranked on the Regional Universities list.

Some of the other schools in the conference are considered "National Universities" (generally the "flagship schools" in states)

#149 Illinois State
#153 SIU (Carbondale)
#180 USD
#185 NDSU
#187 SDSU

Indiana State is unranked on the National Universities list.

For reference, US News defines "National Universities" as "...offer a full range of undergraduate majors as well as master's and doctoral degrees. In many cases, they place strong emphasis on research and receive federal money to support their research endeavors."
And "Regional Universities" as "offer a full range of undergraduate programs and provide graduate education at the master's level. However, they differ by offering few, if any, doctoral programs."
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

How is Eastern ranked 5th? couple years ago they were behind Western.
Western_101

Western was higher than 46 a few years ago.....not sure where this "gaining ground" sentiment is coming from.
leatherface

I guess I was looking at public ranking, and it seemed to me that Western had gained ground over the past few years. I evidently don't have the historical perspective you do for many of the past years.

I was actually looking for something positive to post concerning all that is going on. I don't know much about Eastern's academics, but that surprised me too.