Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
brewer2125

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:32 pm I am sure the numbers of students is not going to be what WIU had hoped for or planned on. The timing of the budget agreement, and all the rumors that swirled around along with the fact that WIU was constantly mentioned with EIU and Chicago State in the press I am sure has not helped enrollment. When it all comes down to it, Gov. R really didn't have any type of plan for consolidating and basically changing the landscape of Illinois Higher Education as some speculated. Instead, he just wanted what he wanted all along (pension reform, right to work anti union reform, and a property tax cut or freeze.) and unfortunately Higher Ed. was in the way.

So I know that this discussion will be filled with post game analysis which may dim the lights a bit for some, but hopefully we will all get on with the business at hand which is to recruit and teach the most talented students WIU can find and to build the financial support necessary to offer students the best environment possible. The budget hostage drama is over for now. WIU did not get dealt the best hand the last couple of years but I think in most cases that the administration played them the best they could. But now we finally have some support financially. I can't help feel in my positive purple and gold heart that better days are ahead for Western Illinois University! ;) jc

ps. Admissions under Andy Boorst did a great job reconfiguring WIU recruiting and hiring some top notch ad counselors. This is still the case under the direction Mr. Miner!
Well said....
wiu712

The waiting game ==> Western Illinois University waits for appropriated funds.

From the McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/2017 ... iting-game
wiu712

Illinois colleges' bond status upgraded as budget impasse ends.

From today's Daily Herald:
http://www.dailyherald.com/business/201 ... passe-ends
sealhall74

Looking at higher-level education from 1980 to today in the US, the number of college students (public and private) has about doubled (11M to 22M). That should be good news to most colleges and universities. However, the number of degree-granting institutions (public and private) has increased from about 3200 to 4700 over that same time period. That is going to put a severe strain on lots of "old-school" colleges like the ones that are near and dear to our hearts.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Nice rundown of what all has happened over the last few years: Moving WIU Forward
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:44 pm Nice rundown of what all has happened over the last few years: Moving WIU Forward
Internally, I sure hope the administration has more honest insight and understands that failure to act led to the 10+ year decline in student enrollment, rather than highlighting the evil budget and making excuses while looking to celebrate Western isn't in last place.
leatherneckcountry

Tere North wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:28 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:44 pm Nice rundown of what all has happened over the last few years: Moving WIU Forward
Internally, I sure hope the administration has more honest insight and understands that failure to act led to the 10+ year decline in student enrollment, rather than highlighting the evil budget and making excuses while looking to celebrate Western isn't in last place.
almost every school in Il had the sae problem so it's not just a WIU issue.
wiu712

Credit rating improves for 7 Illinois state universities.

From the Associated Press:

A major credit agency has raised debt ratings and affirmed others for seven Illinois universities.

S&P Global Ratings credited the state’s enactment of an annual budget this month for the first time in two years.

S&P raised its debt ratings for Southern Illinois University, Governors State University, Northeastern Illinois University, and Eastern Illinois University. It affirmed ratings for the University of Illinois, Illinois State University, and Western Illinois University.

Each university had its rating removed from “credit watch negative.” The outlook for Western Illinois is “positive.” The others rated “stable” outlooks.

S&P says the impact of budget passage over Gov. Bruce Rauner’s vetoes is not yet clear. It says hundreds of millions of dollars the state comptroller plans to distribute by the end of the month is crucial for liquidity.
Neckfansince71

Well that is certainly a "horse of a different color!" Finally some good news! Oh happy day!!! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 am Well that is certainly a "horse of a different color!" Finally some good news! Oh happy day!!! ;) jc
Yup, I immediately shared it to all of my social media stuff.
Here's a link to the article for anyone who wants to share it around too:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... iversities

Good quotes to reference:
"It affirmed ratings for the University of Illinois, Illinois State University and Western Illinois University."

"Each university had its rating removed from 'credit watch negative.' The outlook for Western Illinois is 'positive.' The others rated 'stable' outlooks."
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000