Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am Dip in number of female freshmen at Western. 2017 Fall Freshmen total number = 1,206 (575 male and 631 female).

From today's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/2017 ... e-freshmen
The Admissions Director makes a rather sexist comment in saying that female students are interested in Teacher Education and Nursing. That kind of attitude may well be what led less women to some to Western for Fall 2017.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:36 pm
wiu712 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am Dip in number of female freshmen at Western. 2017 Fall Freshmen total number = 1,206 (575 male and 631 female).

The Admissions Director makes a rather sexist comment in saying that female students are interested in Teacher Education and Nursing. That kind of attitude may well be what led less women to some to Western for Fall 2017.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rocki

Frankly, we need to advance our Nursing department. Male or female, I think we are losing students interested in the nursing profession to SIU-E. Their ability to work with the St. Louis area hospitals is one big plus for them - we need to find some way to increase our presence in the field. (And Western has always been known as a "teachers college" - at one time it was one of the most highly rated schools in that field) Just my thoughts.
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Frankly, we need to advance our Nursing department. Male or female, I think we are losing students interested in the nursing profession to SIU-E. Their ability to work with the St. Louis area hospitals is one big plus for them - we need to find some way to increase our presence in the field. (And Western has always been known as a "teachers college" - at one time it was one of the most highly rated schools in that field) Just my thoughts.
From the catalog, it looks like the primary focus of the nursing program is at the Macomb campus. That seems illogical to me.
Why not in the QC where you have an abundance of health care facilities to learn at? I guess there would be the downside of competing with St. Ambrose and maybe others there, but still seems the best location if you really want to make it a first-rate signature program. Practicing on simulated patients might be alright for a while but you have to get the human contact in place early and often. My sister started out in the nursing program at Bradley many years ago. After a semester of giving patients sponge baths at St. Francis, she quickly found out nursing was not the best career choice for her and ended up getting an economics degree from Knox. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Western Board of Trustees meeting set for Dec. 15.

By WIU News:

The Western Illinois University Board of Trustees will consider the active duty tuition rate at the Friday, Dec. 15, Board meeting in the University Union Capitol Rooms on the Macomb campus.

The WIU Board’s open meeting will begin at 8 a.m. Friday. A scheduled closed session, in accordance with the provisions of the Open Meetings Act, will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 14, in the Corbin-Olson e-classroom.

The Board will also consider the annual auditing department charter, an agreement with the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police Labor Council and the release of closed session meeting minutes. The Board will also hear reports on enrollment, retention and graduation rates, the FY18 master plan update and strategic plan accomplishments.

The complete agenda can be found at wiu.edu/bot.
wiu712

There was more discussion, but no action was taken on athletics at last week's Eastern Illinois University's Council on University Planning and Budgeting (CUPB).

The CUPB did not take any action or votes on what to do about athletics during the meeting.

Many constituencies expressed concerns when cutting sports when it came to the public perception of the university, especially with enrollment numbers going up and with the end of the budget impasse.

Some members reported that their constituencies said that if cutting football and moving from a Division 1 school was not an option, they did not have many suggestions beyond that.

Eastern President David Glassman said there are about 400-425 student athletes at the university, a number that has been stable for many years and has not changed since enrollment started decreasing.

Paul McCann, EIU's interim vice president for business affairs, said over half of all student athletes pay full tuition.
Neckerchief

UPI is planning a "silent mob" tomorrow in Sherman Hall:

Silent mob on Thursday, December 14th @ 12:30 in the 3rd Floor auditorium of Sherman Hall. We will begin gathering at 12:30, but at 12:40 we will form a line and silently parade our way out of the building. We will then gather briefly outside the building and then disperse by 12:45. Simple, straightforward and unifying. ALL UPI members are encouraged to come spend 15 minutes with the chapter leadership in silence pushing for a beneficial contract. *Wear your UPI green (t-shirts, buttons, ribbons) and bring a sign.*

This seems petty and petulant to me.
sealhall74

Neckerchief wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 pm UPI is planning a "silent mob" tomorrow in Sherman Hall:

Silent mob on Thursday, December 14th @ 12:30 in the 3rd Floor auditorium of Sherman Hall. We will begin gathering at 12:30, but at 12:40 we will form a line and silently parade our way out of the building. We will then gather briefly outside the building and then disperse by 12:45. Simple, straightforward and unifying. ALL UPI members are encouraged to come spend 15 minutes with the chapter leadership in silence pushing for a beneficial contract. *Wear your UPI green (t-shirts, buttons, ribbons) and bring a sign.*

This seems petty and petulant to me.
Obviously, the organizers sought no input from the Philosophy Department on this matter.
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

Just had a large oak tree fall down on my property during the wind of the last few days. I can confirm, it does not make a sound.
#ALLIN #YOLO