Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
leatherneckcountry

wiu712 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:06 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:53 amWhere was Seal located ?
Seal Hall is still standing. It's main occupant now is University Housing & Dining offices. It is a three-story building just north of Tillman Hall.
Ok I just didn't know that it was a dorm I thought maybe there was a building before called seal hall. Behind Linc/Wash in the field there is a set of stairs that used to lead to a building but the stairs are all that's left does anyone know what was there I wish they would put plaques up to show where buildings were when they tear them down.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:06 am Seal Hall is still standing. It's main occupant now is University Housing & Dining offices. It is a three-story building just north of Tillman Hall.
And me. Third floor, east wing, north-facing.
sealhall74 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:31 am We now have a brick. I dont know when it will be there, but look for one like this:

Dedicated to all the men
of Seal Hall. Our home
away from home was truly
one to write home about.
I'll keep an eye out for it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:05 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:53 amWhere was Seal located ?
Seal Hall is still standing. It's main occupant now is University Housing & Dining offices. It is a three-story building just north of Tillman Hall.
Ok I just didn't know that it was a dorm I thought maybe there was a building before called seal hall. Behind Linc/Wash in the field there is a set of stairs that used to lead to a building but the stairs are all that's left does anyone know what was there I wish they would put plaques up to show where buildings were when they tear them down.
Are you talking about the steps down to the ravine? Back in the 60's they used to do kids theater productions there in the summer.
leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Are you talking about the steps down to the ravine? Back in the 60's they used to do kids theater productions there in the summer.
ok I saw it one day when I was walking around campus and tried looking at old layouts of campus but couldn’t find anything that was there.
rocki

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 am
rocki wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:56 pm
ok I saw it one day when I was walking around campus and tried looking at old layouts of campus but couldn’t find anything that was there.
Back then it was all wooded, and made a great place for outdoor theater for kids. I remember going to see "Snow White" there one summer - with the trees and all, it made the story of the dwarves living in the middle of nowhere much more real.
Leatherneck10

Best guesses for today's announcement? What stays, what goes, what expands, what shrinks?
sealhall74

Leatherneck10 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 am Best guesses for today's announcement? What stays, what goes, what expands, what shrinks?
Nothing goes now but future of ALL programs subject to further review with that review most likely from an external consulting group. RENEWED emphasis on recruiting students and staff for existing signature programs. A few shifts of programs and courses between Macomb and QC. I am hoping for more changes than this but my gut tells me this is what it will be. It is really hard to pull the plug on programs a month before students show up on campus. All it would do is piss off a kid and/or his parents and generate some really bad publicity. Probably about half of the kids show up with no idea what they want to major in but you can't risk pissing off a few in the other half. For those already on board in a program destined for the chopping block, I would think you would need to give them at least a year year notice and help them find a transfer school.

Update: I did not spot anything too earth-shattering. Sort of conceptional reorganization is what I would call it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:59 am
Leatherneck10 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 am Best guesses for today's announcement? What stays, what goes, what expands, what shrinks?
Nothing goes now but future of ALL programs subject to further review with that review most likely from an external consulting group. RENEWED emphasis on recruiting students and staff for existing signature programs. A few shifts of programs and courses between Macomb and QC. I am hoping for more changes than this but my gut tells me this is what it will be. It is really hard to pull the plug on programs a month before students show up on campus. All it would do is piss off a kid and/or his parents and generate some really bad publicity. Probably about half of the kids show up with no idea what they want to major in but you can't risk pissing off a few in the other half. For those already on board in a program destined for the chopping block, I would think you would need to give them at least a year year notice and help them find a transfer school.

Update: I did not spot anything too earth-shattering. Sort of conceptional reorganization is what I would call it.
You can watch it https://www.facebook.com/WesternIlUniv/ ... 5MDIzOTU3/
Tere North

2 key slides from the presentation - you will need to click on the images to see complete picture and in full frame
1st a defined focus
2nd a reorganization and combination of departments/schools across the 4 colleges

Neckfansince71

So what do you think? Have looked at both slides! Thoughts? ;) jc