Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Pushback on WIU Budget Cuts & Update on Open Meetings Violations.
From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
http://www.tspr.org/post/pushback-wiu-b ... violations
meganeck

I see Illinois was 2nd in the nation in population loss. I don't think Illinois will be getting better anytime soon with their budget mess.
wiu712

Life after Layoff from WIU.
http://www.tspr.org/post/life-after-layoff-wiu
wiu712

FALL 2018 ENROLLMENT SNAPSHOT FOR ILLINOIS PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES:
https://www.ibhe.org/assets/files/IBHE% ... llment.pdf
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:40 pm FALL 2018 ENROLLMENT SNAPSHOT FOR ILLINOIS PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES:
https://www.ibhe.org/assets/files/IBHE% ... llment.pdf
Only SIUC is worse off than us :o
Western_101

True, Tere.

However, EIU suffered years of declining enrollment before it hit Western. Unless I'm wrong they are a Illinois D-I school with under 6000 enrollment.

I wouldn't exactly be celebrating that. Just because EIU got a tourniquet on the bleeding doesn't mean everything is roses and rainbows.

NIU is not a destination school anymore (if it ever was). This notion of being in the FBS means they have to have a budget mulitple millions dollars more than Western. If you were to ask the average Joe on the street his/her response likely would be they don't percieve NIU in the same classification as Big Ten schools. Thus something less, many think D-II. Others figure it is the same as the other State schools in Illinois. i.e., ISU, EIU, SIU, WIU.

Illinois under funding their public institutions is the definition of self absorbed immediate gratification greed. So, much for our children are the future, it didn't have to be this way.
wiu712

From KHQA-TV-7 News:

Western Illinois University will soon begin meeting about seniority and possible layoffs.

WIU has faced several budget cuts over the past few years.

WIU Spokesperson Darcie Shinberger said the University notified employees of an informational meeting.

The school issued the following statement:

"HR will periodically host informational sessions for employees in regard to such topics as benefits, retirement information, and other SUCSS-related rules, policies, and regulations."

The first meeting is scheduled for January 25th.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 pm From KHQA-TV-7 News:

Western Illinois University will soon begin meeting about seniority and possible layoffs.

WIU has faced several budget cuts over the past few years.

WIU Spokesperson Darcie Shinberger said the University notified employees of an informational meeting.

The school issued the following statement:

"HR will periodically host informational sessions for employees in regard to such topics as benefits, retirement information, and other SUCSS-related rules, policies, and regulations."

The first meeting is scheduled for January 25th.
Layoffs for Civil Service (SUCSS) personnel will not cut it.
wiu712

WIU: Financial Picture Remains Bleak.
https://www.tspr.org/post/wiu-financial ... ains-bleak
Neckfansince71

So more bad financial news means cuts which mean hesitation to enroll which means a lower enrollment which means more bad financial news which means cuts which mean hesitation to enroll which means a lower enrollment which means more bad financial news which means cuts which mean hesitation to enroll which means a lower enrollment which means more bad financial news means cuts which mean hesitation to enroll which means a lower enrollment which means more bad financial news means cuts which mean hesitation to enroll which means a lower enrollment which means more bad financial news means cuts which mean hesitation to enroll which means a lower enrollment which means more bad financial news means cuts which mean hesitation to enroll which means a lower enrollment which means more bad financial news means cuts which mean hesitation to enroll which means a lower enrollment which means more bad financial news means cuts which mean hesitation to enroll which means a lower enrollment!!!! Its the self fulfilling prophecy. Western Illinois University is a great place to learn! I am so sick and tired of this whirlpool I just want to "scream!" How does WIU get off the "dime?" What in the hell is it going to take? It is truly time to turn the corner! ;) jc