Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Students taking online only courses may boost a university's enrollment numbers. But those online-only students do not pay the Fees that support Athletics, Fine Arts, Activities, etc.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:43 am Students taking online only courses may boost a university's enrollment numbers. But those online-only students do not pay the Fees that support Athletics, Fine Arts, Activities, etc.
But they do need professors and assuming those people live near campus, they pay taxes and show up at the games. I say that hopefully knowing that technology makes it possible to teach a course from the North Pole.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:36 am I see Purdue next door is starting to advertise their new online programs on major media sources as well so they could become a huge player down the road.
Purdue bought Kaplan University, which is now called Purdue Global Online. It has the Purdue name, but it is still run the same was as Kaplan.
Tere North

Tere North wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 am
sealhall74 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:36 am I see Purdue next door is starting to advertise their new online programs on major media sources as well so they could become a huge player down the road.
Purdue bought Kaplan University, which is now called Purdue Global Online. It has the Purdue name, but it is still run the same was as Kaplan. For all major online program, each class has a developed curriculum for anyone who teaches it, with limited alteration. That approach would likely not set well with WIU faculty.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:56 am
Tere North wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 am
Purdue bought Kaplan University, which is now called Purdue Global Online. It has the Purdue name, but it is still run the same was as Kaplan. For all major online program, each class has a developed curriculum for anyone who teaches it, with limited alteration. That approach would likely not set well with WIU faculty.
I once had a Junior High math teacher who gave everyone the standardized tests that came with the math book but she always included an extra credit question or two of her own creation. If you were a "good" student, it was understood that you had to do those extra credit questions to earn an A in her class.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Does anyone know the date for JBPrizker's SOTU/State budget speech? ;) jc
wiu712

Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:03 am Does anyone know the date for JBPrizker's SOTU/State budget speech?
It will be on February 20.
wiu712

Looks like the Feb 20 Budget address will be tempered by the current financial situation in the State. Moody's is putting the pressure on Pritzker to submit a balanced budget.

Pritzker: Illinois budget deficit higher than estimated.
From the Springfield State Journal-Register:
https://www.sj-r.com/news/20190208/prit ... -estimated
rocki

wiu712 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:53 am Looks like the Feb 20 Budget address will be tempered by the current financial situation in the State. Moody's is putting the pressure on Pritzker to submit a balanced budget.

Pritzker: Illinois budget deficit higher than estimated.
From the Springfield State Journal-Register:
https://www.sj-r.com/news/20190208/prit ... -estimated
Well, I'm shocked. Actually NOT spending more than you take in? What a novel idea!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
Neckfansince71

So I have a question in regards to the CPA! We know that Rauner stopped all construction and planning of all capital projects when he took over as governor. Even though this was the case, we kept hearing that the money was already there and sitting in some ones back pocket, just waiting to be released. This was also the case for a building at ISU and other structures for education throughout the state. I was under the impression that this money would be in the form of bond sales as is usually the case. WIU/Macomb have definitely been selling the fact that such a project would do wonders for the surrounding economy which would mean more jobs, salaries, spending, housing rentals and sales which would be taxed by the state as is always is. Now I am not looking for JBP to announce the release of funds at the State of the State, but I am just wondering if he might have an incentive package in his sleeve to get things really moving again around the state. What are all of your thoughts in regard to this type of plan? ;) jc