Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

After browsing around to some other states (California, New York, ...), it seems like Illinois university BOTs tend to be on the smaller (in terms of membership) side. With that limited membership, you really cannot even come with much in the way of productive committee assignments. Hence, it becomes mostly a rubber stamp organization. Also, since you are giving a student member a vote, I think I would add another voting member, that being the chair of the Faculty Senate. I would really like to see one state-wide system with BOT membership tending toward the 30 number. Of course, I am also the guy who says there should be at least 30 Supreme Court Justices (chosen randomly from the Federal Judge pool) to serve 5 year terms. Go ahead, call me a radical but numbers matter when it comes to getting work done. Also, BOT open sessions should be streamed live to the masses in the interest of transparency.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Leatherneck10

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:43 am After browsing around to some other states (California, New York, ...), it seems like Illinois university BOTs tend to be on the smaller (in terms of membership) side. With that limited membership, you really cannot even come with much in the way of productive committee assignments. Hence, it becomes mostly a rubber stamp organization. Also, since you are giving a student member a vote, I think I would add another voting member, that being the chair of the Faculty Senate. I would really like to see one state-wide system with BOT membership tending toward the 30 number. Of course, I am also the guy who says there should be at least 30 Supreme Court Justices (chosen randomly from the Federal Judge pool) to serve 5 year terms. Go ahead, call me a radical but numbers matter when it comes to getting work done. Also, BOT open sessions should be streamed live to the masses in the interest of transparency.
UPI has been asking for a faculty ex-officio member for years. They've gotten nowhere with it. A full voting member would require a change to state law. State employees may not serve on the BOT. (That is why Trustee Cole had to resign, yet he remained on the BOT for 2 years after becoming a state employee. I guess he failed to notify anyone of his new job.)
wiu712

WIU enrollment drops force Macomb rental companies to make changes.
From WGEM News:
https://wgem.com/2019/03/18/wiu-enrollm ... e-changes/
GV Dad

wiu712 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:30 pm WIU enrollment drops force Macomb rental companies to make changes.
From WGEM News:
Not to take this off topic, but with the shortage of Hotel rooms some of these rental companies should look into Air BB or VRBO. It's not long term but could help with revenue flow. Pretty much every Fri-Sun are booked for 2019 home Football games
sealhall74

GV Dad wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:21 pm
wiu712 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:30 pm WIU enrollment drops force Macomb rental companies to make changes.
From WGEM News:
Not to take this off topic, but with the shortage of Hotel rooms some of these rental companies should look into Air BB or VRBO. It's not long term but could help with revenue flow. Pretty much every Fri-Sun are booked for 2019 home Football games
AirBnb on-site inspector in small college towns - definitely the job from hell.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

“This will change.” WIU layoffs jeopardize Malpass Library and Botany Greenhouse plants.
Front page story in Saturday's McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/201 ... ill-change
wiu712

Western Illinois University layoffs raise concern for Botany Greenhouse.
From WGEM News:
https://wgem.com/2019/03/26/western-ill ... reenhouse/
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Really coming down to the wire on naming the new board. Board meeting is tomorrow morning.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:21 am Really coming down to the wire on naming the new board. Board meeting is tomorrow morning.
And if one isn't named, my reading of the rules is that they cannot vote on anything as they won't have a quorum of seats.

But honestly, if you were named today, could you really do your due diligence and consider the materials being presented. Were it me, I'd motion to table all votes and establish, e.g., a late April date. Otherwise the Board is being asked to rubber stamp what admin presents, which does not bode well for much needed change.
Neckfansince71

There is not going to be a meeting tomorrow ladies and gentlemen. Just would not make sense. But here's betting that the new BOT will be named tomorrow! ;) jc