Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:21 am
Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:36 am712, can you tell me where this statement is in the program!
It comes in the 2nd half of the program when Sen. Pat McGuire (D) Hill Crest and Sen. Steve McClure (R) Springfield are talking about the Capitol Budget.

They did not mention specific projects by name. But they did state the previously-approved projects may now not be included in the Capitol Budget. They cited that the decreasing enrollments have changed the dynamics.
Eight years since the ceremonial groundbreaking changes a lot of things. Those shiny shovels are probably all rusty now. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

So I found the Illinois Lawmakers program 712 mentioned and I can't help feel that the one rep was talking directly to WIU and the CPA. So we all know that our enrollment was falling, Gov. Rauner lack of a budget put WIU on the PR hit list for "could it be closing!" We all know now that that was not going to happen but it really did have an adverse effect on enrollment. So now we have legislators questioning if Capital projects from 15 years ago should be funded. Well, the CPA was approved, the money was ready to be released, and I feel it could be a very positive thing for west central Illinois. Now we need a science building also, but give me a break, we waited in line for a long time to improve our performance venue and WIU deserves to have a nice performing facility. I comes down to, if you build, they will come! All I can say is, what a "crock of feces!"
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:01 pm So I found the Illinois Lawmakers program 712 mentioned and I can't help feel that the one rep was talking directly to WIU and the CPA. So we all know that our enrollment was falling, Gov. Rauner lack of a budget put WIU on the PR hit list for "could it be closing!" We all know now that that was not going to happen but it really did have an adverse effect on enrollment. So now we have legislators questioning if Capital projects from 15 years ago should be funded. Well, the CPA was approved, the money was ready to be released, and I feel it could be a very positive thing for west central Illinois. Now we need a science building also, but give me a break, we waited in line for a long time to improve our performance venue and WIU deserves to have a nice performing facility. I comes down to, if you build, they will come! All I can say is, what a "crock of feces!"
From an academic standpoint, I'd take a new science building over the performing arts center any day. Further, have shown some excellence in the sciences. For the arts, we after announcing the PAC, we dropped the summer music theater program that brought in outside performers to WIU. If the arts don't want to support themselves, the who is the PAC for. Peoria manages to support its performing arts center, Quincy's is failing. Now way can Western support one. Further, 1400-seats is not a performing arts center.
Neckfansince71

Yes, I agree with you Tere! I say we build a helluva a science building to house Nursing, Biology, Chemistry, our great Physics program, fire science etc. State of the art with a wow factor to beat the band. We might be able to move LEJA to Waggoner or all of Horrabin. We can always reconsider the needs of our performing artists and build a building that will meet their needs in the future. We just need a direction for the university to follow. A map for all the departments to follow as one university. This will require someone with the ability to bring all the forces together for input and then someone confident to make a decision. ;) jc
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:25 pm Yes, I agree with you Tere! I say we build a helluva a science building to house Nursing, Biology, Chemistry, our great Physics program, fire science etc. State of the art with a wow factor to beat the band. We might be able to move LEJA to Waggoner or all of Horrabin. We can always reconsider the needs of our performing artists and build a building that will meet their needs in the future. We just need a direction for the university to follow. A map for all the departments to follow as one university. This will require someone with the ability to bring all the forces together for input and then someone confident to make a decision. ;) jc
"Someone with the ability to bring all the forces together for input and then someone confident to make a decision."

Well, that certainly eliminates the President and his cabinet and their seconds.
Neckfansince71

Guess I was stating the obvious! ;) jc
wiu712

From President Jack Thomas' testimony to the Illinois Legislative Appropriations Committee on May 2, 2019 (House) & May 9, 2019 (Senate):

The Governor’s budget recommendation of a 5% increase for the public universities would equate to approximately $2.4 million more than what was received last year, but would be $1.9 million less than what we received in fiscal year 15. This amount would be used toward sustaining current operations including deferred maintenance needs, increasing student financial aid, and mitigating the recent loss of income. Any increase in state appropriation would be greatly appreciated.

Over the past several years, Western Illinois University has taken multiple steps in order to adjust to diminishing financial resources from both 1) the Budget Impasse; and 2) the reduction in operational funding from fiscal year 2002 until today. Western Illinois University has again recently issued layoffs and is planning for further reductions to bring our budgeted expenditures in line with our expected revenue. This includes an overall budget reduction target of over $20 million. Because personnel costs constitute the majority of our expenses, this results in a loss of jobs spanning across many departments throughout the University.

Please note, assuming the University has level new student enrollment for Fall of 20, we would need an additional $8 to $10 million in state appropriations added to the current appropriation level ($47.2 million) in order for us to break-even in fiscal year 20. This includes moving forward with reductions the University has already identified.
Neckfansince71

For some reason I am loosing my patience with this situation. Dr. Thomas means well, and I feel like he has done as good as he could do for the university through "trying" times. (Not defending everything he did and I am not saying I agree with everything he did but he was faced with a "perfect storm!") But we have got to stop circling the wagons and move the university in a positive direction. We need a plan of action that is going to be followed throughout the University/Macomb, and yes the QuadCities community. I have no problem looking for a "bailout" with the way the former governor treated higher education in the past 4 years, but that can't be our only plan. Re-organizing the deck chairs is not going to do it! Cutting off the Quad Cities is not going to do it. Shifting with a goal in mind has got to be the goal. Please BOT and administration, please provide WIU with a vision or step aside so someone else can. Let's move on!!!!!! ;) jc
vatusay

That would require an actual leader.

WIU does not currently have one of those.

All I ever hear are excuses. I give my daughter an absolute earful when she tries to make an excuse instead of solving a problem. She’s 10.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Neckfansince71

Contacted my state rep today with this message!

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 8:46 AM James Carter <James.Carter.199817159@p2a.co> wrote:
Dear Representative Grant,

As you work toward a fiscal year 2020 budget and capital bill, please support increased funding for higher education. Our state universities are economic engines for the state’s economy, educating our workforce, employing our communities and researching new technology. Investing in our public universities is an investment in our students and future workforce. Our universities provide a high quality education that position Illinois students for success for decades to come.

I ask that you also support capital funding to ensure facilities match our academic excellence. As a resident in your district, it is important to me that you support higher education in Illinois.

She replied with this:

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the funding of the University of Illinois. I value the opinions of citizens like yourself, and appreciate that you took the time to express your views.

I understand your concern about funding a quality educational institution like U of I. My staff and I are researching the various proposals that might appear before us this legislative session, and will consider your point of view if this measure comes before me.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office with any questions or concerns.

And I replied with this!!!!

Amy,
So inadvertently you have underlined my concern. I was not talking about my father's alma mater Illinois! U of I may have been effected by Rauner's lack of a budget, but schools like Eastern and my alma mater' Western really felt the financial drought! In reality, I am a WIU Leatherneck through and through. I spent 6 years on the alumni council, and my WIU education allowed me to spend 34 years of my life teaching science, coaching, and serving as a department chair at Glenbard East. I also met my wife in Macomb my junior year! I have never and will never get WIU out of my system! Our daughter is also a Leatherneck!

So 5 years ago WIU was ready to build a new Center for Performing Arts. Money was appropriated and ready to be released and then.......

Western is a wonderful school. It's a diamond in the prairie! It has a nationally recognized Law Enforcement program, a nationally recognized Supply Chain Management program, not to mention nursing and Physics! It deserves your support. Yes, enrollment issues and changes need to be addressed, but the WIU/Macomb community goes out of its way to support students!

Amy, the University of Illinois will survive because it is the state's premier institution. But the states directional institutions deserve state support too! Please don't forget that.

I am looking forward to meeting you in the near future!

Jim Carter

As you can tell, she assumed I was talking only about the "Premier" University in the state of Illinois. She can expect a visit from me at her office in the very near future! I have had enough of this crap!!!!! jc