Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Brad Bainter Out at WIU.
From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
https://www.tspr.org/post/bainter-out-wiu
wiu712

Brad Bainter departure prompts WIU reorganization.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/201 ... ganization
Neckerchief

Former Trustee Lyneir Cole (who served illegally on the BOT for two years) is complaining about a "plot" by the BOT to remove President Thomas.

Let’s be clear. The President serves under the Board of Trustees. The BOT is tasked (among other things) with hiring and firing the President. The BOT can dismiss the President at any time. That is not a “plot”. That is how the BOT works.

Until today, I was neutral about President Thomas. No more. Firing Brad Bainter was incredibly dumb. Brad had spent years and years building relationships with major donors, and generating donations. This firing could cost WIU millions.

Enough.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I leave for one week and all hell breaks loose.

#facepalm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

Neckerchief wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 pm Former Trustee Lyneir Cole (who served illegally on the BOT for two years) is complaining about a "plot" by the BOT to remove President Thomas.

Let’s be clear. The President serves under the Board of Trustees. The BOT is tasked (among other things) with hiring and firing the President. The BOT can dismiss the President at any time. That is not a “plot”. That is how the BOT works.

Until today, I was neutral about President Thomas. No more. Firing Brad Bainter was incredibly dumb. Brad had spent years and years building relationships with major donors, and generating donations. This firing could cost WIU millions.

Enough.
Promote the VP for Strategic Planning who has done nothing to plan for success. Check. Remove 4 admissions counselors, 4 academic advisors, and 4 counseling center counselors when the primary goal should be increasing enrollment and retention. Check. Fire Brad Bainter when that is one area that has supported the university by doing an excellent job in fundraising. Check.

Yep, Thomas is definitely checking all the boxes to sink the WIU ship. :roll:
vatusay

Sounds like someone else has their own “plot”.

Forcing bainter out will turn the Macomb community against doctor thomas even more.

Please, BOT, do the right thing. The university and region needs to see jack packing his bags.
#ALLIN #YOLO
rocki

Another question. We all know about the emails and the accusation of a plot to get rid of Jack; however, isn't he on a year to year contract? Anybody with eyes and brains can see how badly Western has gone downhill under his watch, so how would not renewing his contract be a "plot" and/or "racism"? If you don't perform, you're gone. Number one rule of successful management.

And they need to look back to when Mr. Thomas was hired - that was a "plot" unto itself, and Mr. Cole knows all about that I was told.
Tere North

rocki wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 am Another question. We all know about the emails and the accusation of a plot to get rid of Jack; however, isn't he on a year to year contract? Anybody with eyes and brains can see how badly Western has gone downhill under his watch, so how would not renewing his contract be a "plot" and/or "racism"? If you don't perform, you're gone. Number one rule of successful management.

And they need to look back to when Mr. Thomas was hired - that was a "plot" unto itself, and Mr. Cole knows all about that I was told.
Let's just say that Thomas was not the search committee's choice. Just a Thomas has overruled recent search committee to hire those who "serve at his pleasure," so to did that Board of Trustees overrule the search committee in hiring a President to "serve at the pleasure of the Board."
Neckfansince71

How about someone "plots" the direction WIU should move understanding the financial problems that our state has currently. And, is discussing the future of an administrator who has received poor marks from the faculty senate and faculty union a plot??? As someone stated on the McDonough Voice Facebook Page, isn't that part of the BOT's job! ;) jc
LocalYokelFan

Neckerchief wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 pm

Enough.
Let me preface this by saying my questions are in no way supporting Dr. Thomas or suggesting Mr. Bainter should have been fired. But I'm a number junkie and maybe you all can help me out -- what about WIU's endowment and Mr. Bainter's handling of said endowment are particularly awe-inspiring? Using a baseball stat analogy, "wins above replacement", are we confident that an average, qualified candidate tasked with driving endowment investment couldn't do better?

My bigger issue is that, if you're Dr. Thomas and you're going to make that move, you better have an iron clad plan to strengthen the endowment / foundation Day 1. Like many of Jack's personnel moves, I have big doubts that his plans with Mr. Bainter's position are more than ink on a stained napkin.