Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckerchief

I'm a number junkie and maybe you all can help me out
Brad served as Director of Development and Planned Giving at WIU from July, 2009 until his promotion to Vice President for Advancement and Public Services in July, 2010.

See here: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=8177

WIU’s endowment in 2009 was $20 million, and in 2018 it had grown to nearly $55 million according to this article: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=15445

Under Brad Bainter’s leadership, WIU’s endowment grew $35 million in less than 10 years.

Another way to look at it -- in WIU's first 110 years, we built an endowment of $20 million. In just nine years, Brad increased that to $55 million.

But that's not all. From the second link:
Currently, the WIU Foundation has documented nearly $41 million in estate gifts, including bequests, life insurance, annuities and trusts, that will benefit Western for years to come.
I would like to see Jack Thomas' explanation for Brad's firing.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Signs have started appearing around town saying things like "Fire Jack Thomas".

Regardless of his "production", Bainter is very well-liked around town, and when most people talked about getting rid of some administrators, Brad was not one of them.

Apparently people on campus are pretty on-edge right know, from what I've heard.

I'm a little afraid to see how things will be once I get back to work on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

I’m not defending the action of the previous board anyway but I’m questioning how this board is allowed to have private meetings when this is what the other BOT got in trouble for.
Tere North

leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:50 am I’m not defending the action of the previous board anyway but I’m questioning how this board is allowed to have private meetings when this is what the other BOT got in trouble for.
I believe 2 members can meet and not violate rules.
meganeck

Tere North wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:56 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:50 am I’m not defending the action of the previous board anyway but I’m questioning how this board is allowed to have private meetings when this is what the other BOT got in trouble for.
I believe 2 members can meet and not violate rules.
I believe you are correct 2 members doesn't violate the open meeting laws
sealhall74

The regularly scheduled BOT meeting for May 30 was cancelled with justification that they needed more info about pending legislative action. IMHO, the board chair should have called a special session to nip this personnel issue in the bud one way or the other long before media outlets got involved. Also, all boards are not created equal. You should not have to wait a full 5 days like our bylaws prescribe for a special session. U of I bylaws go with 48 hours. They got theirs right.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

"Whatever it takes": Local business owners start sign campaign to oust WIU president Jack Thomas.
Front page story in today's McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/201 ... r-it-takes
rocki

. The university administration responded with the following statement:
“Increasing enrollment and retaining students are critical to the success of the City of Macomb and Western Illinois University. Again, we ask that everyone join together to focus on the future of our University and our communities.”

I think the administration is failing to see that "everyone" IS focusing on the future, and the present leadership is NOT it. Just my 2 cents.
Tere North

rocki wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:12 am . The university administration responded with the following statement:
“Increasing enrollment and retaining students are critical to the success of the City of Macomb and Western Illinois University. Again, we ask that everyone join together to focus on the future of our University and our communities.”

I think the administration is failing to see that "everyone" IS focusing on the future, and the present leadership is NOT it. Just my 2 cents.
Amen! We need leadership, not ostriches who by burying their heads in the sand, got Western to the debacle it has become.

To tell all employees the must be positive is ludicrous.
rocki

Facebook is lighting up with pleas for people to email Jesse Ruiz with their concerns about WIU and the Macomb community.

For those interested, the email being given for him is Jessie.Ruiz@illinois.gov. Looks like the grassroots movement isn't going down without a fight.