Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
LocalYokelFan

Neckerchief wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:09 pm
I'm a number junkie and maybe you all can help me out
WIU’s endowment in 2009 was $20 million, and in 2018 it had grown to nearly $55 million according to this article: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=15445

Under Brad Bainter’s leadership, WIU’s endowment grew $35 million in less than 10 years.
Thanks Neckerchief, that certainly starts to paint the picture. Still just doesn't strike me as a well performing endowment. Did endowment get tapped with all the budget hoopla of the last few years; that would help explain part of it too I guess? How are we performing against our peer institutions? The DJIA has tripled since 2009, so if the endowment performed like the DJIA, yeah, we'd have grown from about $20M to $60M. Am I missing something?

On a more positive note, HB 0062 w/ SA 001 has some absolutely gaudy capital improvement numbers for WIU and the other state universities (unless I'm reading it wrong). This thing hasn't been voted on yet, so this is kind of "funny money" at this point, but I'll ask this -- I know one of the complaints about Dr. Thomas was that he spends too much time in Springfield. Does $123M help justify some of that time? Will $123M of capital improvements help recruitment and enrollment? Is $123M not enough, would have a different University president gotten WIU $130M without the enrollment dip? I know the pitchforks are out and much of it is justified, but this would be heck of an accomplishment by Jack and the other State University presidents.
rocki

On a more positive note, HB 0062 w/ SA 001 has some absolutely gaudy capital improvement numbers for WIU and the other state universities (unless I'm reading it wrong). This thing hasn't been voted on yet, so this is kind of "funny money" at this point, but I'll ask this -- I know one of the complaints about Dr. Thomas was that he spends too much time in Springfield. Does $123M help justify some of that time? Will $123M of capital improvements help recruitment and enrollment? Is $123M not enough, would have a different University president gotten WIU $130M without the enrollment dip? I know the pitchforks are out and much of it is justified, but this would be heck of an accomplishment by Jack and the other State University presidents.

I will admit that when it comes to the State of Illinois and money/budget/anything financial, I'm a total cynic. You know, I could tell you that I will pledge millions of dollars to WIU, but if I don't have the money, what is it but empty talk and lies? IL is broke - worse than broke. There isn't any money. And I, for one, have had enough of paying taxes out the wazoo just for it to get pi$$ed away. Enough.
LocalYokelFan

rocki wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:09 pm I will admit that when it comes to the State of Illinois and money/budget/anything financial, I'm a total cynic. You know, I could tell you that I will pledge millions of dollars to WIU, but if I don't have the money, what is it but empty talk and lies? IL is broke - worse than broke. There isn't any money. And I, for one, have had enough of paying taxes out the wazoo just for it to get pi$$ed away. Enough.
I get the sentiment and agree with it on many levels! I don't like taxes either, no one does. But if we're not going to fund these places now, we need to close 3-5 state universities, in my opinion.
wiu712

The State Budget should be finalized today.

News articles have mentioned a 5% increase for the state universities. No mention of the extra funding that had been requested by Western and Chicago State.

Another article mentioned improving the residence halls. But there were no specifics listed.
wiu712

Haven't heard any word yet from Western, Norine Hammond, or Jil Tracy as to how Western came out in the new State Budget.

UIS is reporting today that a new $35 million, 50,000-square-foot Library Learning Student Success Center is included in the $45 billion public works construction program passed by the Illinois legislature over the weekend. The new library will replace Brookens Library and will house the Center for Online Learning Research and Service (COLRS), the Center for Academic Success (CAS), and Information Technology Services.
LocalYokelFan

wiu712 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:16 am Haven't heard any word yet from Western, Norine Hammond, or Jil Tracy as to how Western came out in the new State Budget.

UIS is reporting today that a new $35 million, 50,000-square-foot Library Learning Student Success Center is included in the $45 billion public works construction program passed by the Illinois legislature over the weekend. The new library will replace Brookens Library and will house the Center for Online Learning Research and Service (COLRS), the Center for Academic Success (CAS), and Information Technology Services.
UIS's announcement is consistent with the vertical construction bill I mentioned being discussed. See HB 0062 as amended, pages 40-43. It appears to be WIU got:

"$94,500,000 for the construction of a science building, and other capital improvements" and,

$28,931,200 for "miscellaneous capital improvements including construction, capital facilities, cost of planning,... (etc.)

Spoon River also got $6,077,700 for "the renovation of Macomb CTE/nursing building, and other capital improvements."

Again, I'd say Macomb did fairly well. Would love to see the PAC get funded too, but that may be a goner at this point.

I don't claim to know how to read these bills online expertly, so a press release would be nice at some point. Also, from the best I can tell (and there are a lot of different readings and votes related to these bills), but it appears to me that Tracy voted "yes" while Hammond voted "no". Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this though. Also interested to see Hammond and Tracy's explanation for their respective votes.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's a press release for you:

It sounds promising, but then again, I've seen similar press releases about a certain performing arts center that went nowhere.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LocalYokelFan

"In addition... re-appropriates funds for the Center for Performing Arts..."

WHOA! So my scorecard has that as $200M+ in capital improvements alone coming to WIU Macomb in the next 6 or so years. I'd call that a BIG win.

I'm not saying anyone should change their opinion on President Thomas and his tenure at WIU, but give him credit where it is due. He and the other State U Presidents pushed hard for this and helped get it done. To that I say, job well done.
Neckfansince71

So once again the question is, where are we going and how are we going to get there? ;) jc
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:51 am So once again the question is, where are we going and how are we going to get there? ;) jc
I see the funding as the typical "History + 5%". We are going the same place we did last year but adjusting for inflation. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.