Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Leatherneck10

I have on very good authority that a BOT has been selected. Senior Admin knows who they are and they're waiting for the Governor's Office to make the public announcement. They should be seated for this week's meeting.
Neckfansince71

Wow, goes to show what I know!!! :o jc
Leatherneck10

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 am Wow, goes to show what I know!!! :o jc
Of course, this is Illinois state government. So anything can melt down at any moment, right?
Tere North

Leatherneck10 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:00 am I have on very good authority that a BOT has been selected. Senior Admin knows who they are and they're waiting for the Governor's Office to make the public announcement. They should be seated for this week's meeting.
How can a Board be informed to make decisions on last minute announcement.

Postpone the Board meeting until April!

Otherwise, very fishy suggesting the WIU admin picked who they wanted to continue the charade of leadership.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:35 am
Leatherneck10 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:00 am I have on very good authority that a BOT has been selected. Senior Admin knows who they are and they're waiting for the Governor's Office to make the public announcement. They should be seated for this week's meeting.
How can a Board be informed to make decisions on last minute announcement.

Postpone the Board meeting until April!

Otherwise, very fishy suggesting the WIU admin picked who they wanted to continue the charade of leadership.
Sounds like a meet and greet to me. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Well lets see who has been elected to the board before we start yelling about "BOTgate!" Besides, they can’t postpone meeting - statutorily required to have one every quarter. I am sure Tere if they so desire they can table certain aspects of the proposals to be addressed at this gathering! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Also, you have to imagine that they've looked through some of the suggestions and materials already. They may not be officially named yet, but if they're going to be named to the board, they've probably known for a while. Probably won't be able to fully address everything, but there's some things they could probably make a call on, plus just being there to receive and listen to input is a big step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

The Western Illinois University Board of Trustees originally was appointed in October 1995 by then Illinois Governor Jim Edgar, after the Illinois General Assembly passed legislation creating the individual board, effective Jan. 1, 1996. Previously, WIU had been governed by the Board of Governors of State Colleges and Universities.

Currently, there are only three people on the BOT:

Trustees:
Yvonne S. Savala , Vice Chair, East Moline, IL; appointed 2013.
Todd Lester, Secretary, Macomb, IL; appointed 2016.
Justin Brown, Rantoul, IL; Student Trustee elected to serve July 1, 2018-June 30, 2019.
Neckfansince71

The governor does have the authority to keep the three listed (really two) or sweep the house clean! Who knows what he will do! ;) jc
Leatherneck10

Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:19 pm The governor does have the authority to keep the three listed (really two) or sweep the house clean! Who knows what he will do! ;) jc
Y.S.'s term has expired, but she agreed to remain until a new board is named. She would have to be actively reappointed to continue. T.L.'s term is not expired, so he would have to be actively removed by the Governor from the BOT. (There has been discussion about doing this, as many see a clear conflict of interest between his job as the president of WIU's primary bank and his authority to vote on how WIU spends the money deposited in his bank.)

We'll see. It hopefully won't be long now.