Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

So Tere, what is Lenoir Cole getting at as far as the university no longer recruiting in certain areas? ;) jc
wiu712

The projected enrollment of 8,088 is the combined total for both campuses.

The headcount for the Macomb campus would therefore be closer to 7,000.

Western currently operates 3 freshmen dorms: Bayliss, Henninger, and Tanner. An incoming freshmen class of 815 will result in a lot of empty dorm rooms. That could result in a decreased need for building services employees.

SIU-Carbondale is shutting down the residence halls on the east side of their campus. They will also only be operating one dining center this fall.
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 am So Tere, what is Lenoir Cole getting at as far as the university no longer recruiting in certain areas? ;) jc
I think he means they have selected certain areas to recruit and are avoiding other areas. In concept, it works if you know you have good enrollment response from some areas and not others, but it is problematic if you aren't figuring out why you aren't getting kids from those areas.

I also suspect his concern is about the "Black push" in our enrollment efforts. Emphasizing recruitment in those areas as increased the minority enrollment, but recruiting students who have no sense of fit such that they leaver during or after their first year, is a poor waste of money.

Also, we have blatantly ignored the potential the regional Hispanic population offers us.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:47 am The projected enrollment of 8,088 is the combined total for both campuses.

The headcount for the Macomb campus would therefore be closer to 7,000.

Western currently operates 3 freshmen dorms: Bayliss, Henninger, and Tanner. An incoming freshmen class of 815 will result in a lot of empty dorm rooms. That could result in a decreased need for building services employees.

SIU-Carbondale is shutting down the residence halls on the east side of their campus. They will also only be operating one dining center this fall.
With only 815 freshmen, they would easily fit into a single residence hall with lots of room to spare.
Neckfansince71

So it seems to me that it is time to get down to work to fix what can be fixed! Hopefully the state will see fit to create a budget that helps WIU and it's sister schools soon. I think a change in the Governors office will also have a positive effect. Got to distance ourselves from the past union strike and no confidence vote, continue aggressively recruiting students via admissions, university, and community, and philosophically point WIU in the right direction with realistic and focused strategic goals! I am so glad that this cycle for admissions is over and I am looking forward to renewed growth and commitment. Yes I am feeling positive about my "alma mater!" ;) jc
wiu712

Tere North wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pmWith only 815 freshmen, they would easily fit into a single residence hall with lots of room to spare.
Bayliss-Henninger houses approx 800. Tanner Hall also houses approx 800. Total = 1,600.

So a freshman class of 815 would probably require all 3 dorms to remain open. There will just be a lot of empty floors in one of those dorms.

But I am not sure if that 815 number is the total number of freshmen at both campuses, or if it is the number for Macomb only.

If the combined total is 815, that would mean fewer than 800 at Macomb. That would allow all freshmen at Macomb to be housed entirely in either Bay-Henn or in Tanner.
wiu712

Saw this posted at Rich Miller's "Capitol Fax":

More unfortunate news from WIU — The search for a new provost (#2 administrator) has been officially declared failed, with no one quite knowing what happens next. Hardly a surprise in current circumstances, which itself is not good.

And the latest projections have WIU unable to meet payroll sometime between September and November 2019. Unclear if this is with current payroll or is adjusted for possible layoffs and/or reductions. This per recent presentation to Trustees.
rocki

Please note - a "failed" search does NOT mean that the position either wasn't applied for nor applied for by candidates unqualified. It can also mean that those applying for said job breathed wrong or didn't suck up to the committee.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:13 pm Saw this posted at Rich Miller's "Capitol Fax":

More unfortunate news from WIU — The search for a new provost (#2 administrator) has been officially declared failed, with no one quite knowing what happens next. Hardly a surprise in current circumstances, which itself is not good.
A story about this aired on tri-states public radio yesterday morning, but for some reason, there wasn't a story posted online about it, and a lot of people in charge hadn't heard about it even today. Heard it from someone else that confirmed it though.
Essentially, it didn't so much "fail" as "was cancelled" by Dr. Thomas, with the idea being that he may not be here for very long, and whomever is the new president might want a say in the provost position. He didn't want to hire someone now only to have them be swapped out for someone else in a few months. So it sounds like Dr. Neumann will continue to be the interim provost for now.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:30 pm
wiu712 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:13 pm Saw this posted at Rich Miller's "Capitol Fax":

A story about this aired on tri-states public radio yesterday morning, but for some reason, there wasn't a story posted online about it, and a lot of people in charge hadn't heard about it even today. Heard it from someone else that confirmed it though.
Essentially, it didn't so much "fail" as "was cancelled" by Dr. Thomas, with the idea being that he may not be here for very long, and whomever is the new president might want a say in the provost position. He didn't want to hire someone now only to have them be swapped out for someone else in a few months. So it sounds like Dr. Neumann will continue to be the interim provost for now.
I think we are being held hostage here. It is obvious he was kept around with the hope of him finding employment elsewhere. An organization must always do what is best for the organization. Early needs to call an emergency BOT meeting and get the ball rolling for a new Pres.
Embrace the pace of the race.