Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

brewer2125 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:40 pmFunny how Mendoza tries to pass off the effects of decades of the Mike Madigan led state legislature as "Rauner's wreckage." Democrats have held majorities in both chambers of the General Assembly for 20 of the past 30 years...Rauner has been in office only since January 12, 2015.
Illinois has always had a budget under past Republican governors who also had to deal with Mike Madigan (Gov's Thompson, Edgar, and Ryan) . It has only been since Rauner's arrival in Jan 2015 that there has been no budget.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just wanted to say, I'd appreciate it if we don't get too partisan here. I don't think it has yet, but I could see it going down that path. I get enough of that on Facebook...don't really need it here. I think we all love Western and hate what the situation with the state budget has forced the university to do over the last few years. I'm not going to tell people what to say, and I'd really prefer not to have to ban anyone (haven't yet outside of spambots), so I'd appreciate if we can keep the discussion civil. So far it pretty much has been, but I just wanted to head off any potential problems.

cool? 8-)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Just give me a budget that begins the process of straightening things out and gets things going for WIU again! ;) jc
Neckerchief

Could Illinois be the First State to File for Bankruptcy?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/could-illin ... ankruptcy/
leatherface

Surprised there has been no mention by Western regarding any athletic expense adjustments regarding this entire issue. The president didn't mention anything in his speech, nor have I heard or read any mention how the lack of a budget might affect athletics,or, vice versus. Apparently athletic spending is untouchable?
wiu712

leatherface wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:46 amSurprised there has been no mention by Western regarding any athletic expense adjustments regarding this entire issue.
In the WGEM news video from Weds (June 14), President Thomas said: "We have been cut to the bare bone. We can't continue to do things as we have been."

Perhaps the future of Western Athletics will be addressed. With declining enrollment and resources, staying at NCAA Division 1 may no longer be sustainable.

UIS plays NCAA Division 2 athletics while Governors State plays NAIA athletics. Northeastern has club sports.

In the past, Western has played at the Division 2 and also at the NAIA level.
leatherface

Trying to avoid a discussion on D2. Just asking if athletics have been asked to curtail any spending or budget reductions.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherface wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:44 pm Trying to avoid a discussion on D2. Just asking if athletics have been asked to curtail any spending or budget reductions.
I haven't heard anything at this point, but I'd be surprised if they haven't at least had discussions about where to go from here in terms of cutting spending, if they need to do so. My guess is that the next step would be cutting men's/women's swimming and diving, but that's just a guess based on what's happened in the past.

I'm sure they have plans in place for cutting spending but still staying D1 for the forseeable future.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

WIU Says It Won't Be Defined By Budget Stalemate.

From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/wiu-says-it-wont-b ... &utm_term=
wiu712

Heard a radio news report this weekend talking about how the off-campus student-rental industry has collapsed in Charleston. Many are for sale with some being auctioned-off.

Not sure how that market is holding up in Macomb. The Aspen Court Apartment complex has recently filed for bankruptcy. And you see many "Rent Me" signs when you drive around campus. The increased competition for fewer students has resulted in lower rents.

All eyes will be on Springfield when the General Assembly returns for a special session starting on Wednesday. Since it now takes 60% to pass anything (same percentage as for a veto over-ride), it minimizes the impact that Rauner has in the process.

Two years without a budget has left the financial cupboard bare.