Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
sealhall74

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:08 pm So I know that we had a bit of a debate regarding the CPA, but folks it's funding will create a much needed economic boom for Macomb and the area called west-central Illinois for the following reasons:

1) Macomb/WIU deserves to have a professional venue. Should have happened a number of years ago. Western has outstanding music and stage students and the CPA will only serve to put this cultural aspect of WIU on the map.

2) A large number of area construction companies will benefit from the CPA construction which will take 2-3 years. Construction companies need workers, and workers need to be paid which will bring more money into the area.

3) Some construction companies will come from other areas of the state. Their workers will stay in Macomb during the week, but will probably travel home during the weekend. I have run into many construction workers doing that while working to enlarge Pella and or NTN Bower. This should not only help the stores in Macomb but also the rental of properties throughout the WIU/Macomb area.

4) State investment in the CPA means state investment in Macomb/WIU! Fears of Macomb/WIU's future will instantly disappear leaving only Macomb/WIU's future for us all to enjoy.

Your thoughts? ;) jc
You asked so hear goes. The $64K question is whether or not the economic boom will last longer than the construction period. A good indicator might be whether local and regional businesses are willing to help fund it in the first place. It took George Mason U, located in a fairly populous area of Virginia, ten years of fund-raising and several years of construction before they opened the doors of their PAC to a Marvin Hamlisch-hosted affair way back in 1990. During the school year, they have things going on nearly every night of the week. Their web site says 124 Grammy award winners have performed there in front of some 5 million patrons over the years. They have rooms available for rent to outside organizations. IMO, if it ends up being something just for WIU students, it will be very difficult to sustain it over the long run.

After a night of sleep, another queston popped into my mind. Will the old-school concert-goers like myself be prohibited from "flicking lighters" as a tribute to the performers? And if you can't bring a lighter, how do you light up the joint, so to speak?
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

I don't think it is being built just for the students of WIU and I am sure they will schedule many many things throughout the year! ;) jc
Western_101

NFS71

The Performing Arts Center was F***ing approved. I mean there was a ground breaking.

THE MONEY WAS APPROPRIATED. Let me say that again calmly. The money was appropriated.

The entire State of Illinois has been corrupted by short sighted people that wanted to get what they wanted, future generations be Damned.

Our State is rotting from the poison that was injected 20-30 years ago.

Illinois' State motto should be one word "GREED"
wiu712

Seeking Solutions to Higher Education's Woes in Illinois.

From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/seeking-solutions- ... s-illinois
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:03 pm Seeking Solutions to Higher Education's Woes in Illinois.

Look like bandaids to me. Really need some tourniquets.

Update: After a night of sleep and letting this sink in. Politicians telling universities how their application form should look is like a preacher telling a _________________________ (you get to fill in the blank)
sealhall74

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:45 pm
wiu712 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:03 pm Seeking Solutions to Higher Education's Woes in Illinois.

Look like bandaids to me. Really need some tourniquets.

Update: After a night of sleep and rising with a fresh and open mind on this Sunday morning.
Politicians telling universities how their application form should look is like a __________________________ (you get to fill in the blank)

I will start the ball rolling --- like a "preacher telling his parishioners how to fold the bills before dropping them in the offering plate"
wiu712

LAYOFFS COMING TO WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY.

Board of Trustees to meet Thursday.

From Scott Hardy of WTAD Radio, Quincy:

The University's Board of Trustees announced Tuesday that they would meet Thursday morning in Macomb.

A press release from the University says the Board is meeting to consider what it calls "a staff reduction authorization." WIU explains that if approved, the authorization allows the University's administration to follow layoff procedures that are part of the recently approved labor deal between WIU and the University Professionals of Illinois 4100 Chapter.

It adds that employees will be sent notices per the agreement, and the last date of employment is dependent upon the dates outlined within the agreement.

The Board will also hold a closed session before the meeting, to talk about the proposed layoffs.
vatusay

When is Dr. Jack’s contract up?
#ALLIN #YOLO
Tere North

vatusay wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:27 pm When is Dr. Jack’s contract up?
No contract, just a letter of understanding. That is something the Board indicated they planned to change.
wiu712

WIUM-FM reported today that Western received $15 million less from the State for 2018-2019 than was requested. And with the continuing enrollment decline, the university will need to consider staff reductions and program cuts in order to balance the budget.