Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Neckfansince71

712, I saw that comment too! I also saw the comments of the state treasurer. Don't think anyone can get away with not administering a budget that has been approved. He is also threatening to vetoing the school bill for grades K-12! With out it, many districts will run out of money or will not be able to start. Lets face it, the governor does not write the checks so I can't really see how he can keep the budget from happening. I think we may have a home in junk bond status for awhile. Even though Rauner is blaming Madigan with the tax hike, it really came from the grand bargain that was being negotiated between senate Dems and Republicans which began in January. Seems like Rauner wants all or nothing. His stubbornness may lead to more and more defections of house and senate republicans. I am happy that he can no longer keep WIU and all the other state schools as a hostage for his political musings. (Or can he?) Hold on to your seats, this is going to be very interesting! But try to stay positive!!!! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:45 am The budget battle for FY 18 may not be over.

Reports coming out of Springfield are saying that the Governor may refuse to implement the budget that was passed by veto over-ride.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

If he fails to move forward with this budget, I would say it is RECALL time.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 am If he fails to move forward with this budget, I would say it is RECALL time.
Yea, thankfully that is an option now, although it could still be pretty difficult to get enough people to move forward with it.
Here's some info about that process: https://ballotpedia.org/Illinois_Govern ... ent_(2010)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:55 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 am If he fails to move forward with this budget, I would say it is RECALL time.
Yea, thankfully that is an option now, although it could still be pretty difficult to get enough people to move forward with it.
Here's some info about that process: https://ballotpedia.org/Illinois_Govern ... ent_(2010)
If any legislator, regardless of party, is against a recall, I would say they are in the "let's not the rock the boat" category. Not rocking the boat is how we got into this mess in the first place.
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

Can he legally do that?
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu712

vatusay wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:53 pmCan he legally do that?
The Governor has a lot of authority over the state agencies. However, his ability to affect other parts of state government operations would be limited.
wiu712

Using over $695 million in existing education funds, Illinois Comptroller Susana A. Mendoza announced today the first release of funds to state colleges and universities in more than seven months.

Comptroller Mendoza met with Eastern Illinois University President David Glassman Thursday morning as her office expedited a payment of $5.7 million to the school.

EIU, Western, and Chicago State University had been among those hardest hit by the budget impasse.
wiu712

WIU Reviewing State Budget Before Making Decisions.

From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/wiu-reviewing-stat ... -decisions
brewer2125

wiu712 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:08 pm Using over $695 million in existing education funds, Illinois Comptroller Susana A. Mendoza announced today the first release of funds to state colleges and universities in more than seven months.

Comptroller Mendoza met with Eastern Illinois University President David Glassman Thursday morning as her office expedited a payment of $5.7 million to the school.

EIU, Western, and Chicago State University had been among those hardest hit by the budget impasse.
EIU should be closed and should have been closed long ago. In the grand scheme of Illinois universities, it is not needed. It doesn't have any big community to support it, and people don't go out of their way to travel to go there. It should be shut down, let the other schools absorb the student body, and eliminate what is clearly a school being propped up because it can't sustain itself. But no, Illinois...under Madigan, just tax tax tax....waste waste waste.