Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu51

No one I've talked to has confidence in him.
leatherface

Tere- There's something uncomfortable about tenured faculty, who are "experts" in an academic area, being retrained in another area ( although possibly a related transition). Just to keep them on board because of tenure? Seems students are cheated by a faculty member who is teaching a subject they really aren't prepared to teach as a professionally trained person, when there are folks professionally trained in that area who might be available. As a paying parent, I would wonder if I was getting my monies worth.
Tere North

leatherface wrote:Tere- There's something uncomfortable about tenured faculty, who are "experts" in an academic area, being retrained in another area ( although possibly a related transition). Just to keep them on board because of tenure? Seems students are cheated by a faculty member who is teaching a subject they really aren't prepared to teach as a professionally trained person, when there are folks professionally trained in that area who might be available. As a paying parent, I would wonder if I was getting my monies worth.
I don't disagree with you Leatherface, but I do know that if the tenured faculty member is willing to put in the schooling, time, and work, it is an option, though they would be on hold until they became competent. Guess it would depend on how bad you want to stay in Macomb.
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Oh, don't worry. If Rauner really gets his way, there just won't be state-run higher education in Illinois. He wants it all privatized...he's said he really likes the Devry model :roll:
The DeVry model would be fine for vocational programs, but not is you are trying to educate the problem solvers and innovators of the next generation. Learning to fix an HVAC system in a step-wise process with a limited number of parts and options. I'm not sure I'd want my doctor to have learned by, nor a scientist working on a new drug to cure a disease.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote:
ST_Lawson wrote: Oh, don't worry. If Rauner really gets his way, there just won't be state-run higher education in Illinois. He wants it all privatized...he's said he really likes the Devry model :roll:
The DeVry model would be fine for vocational programs, but not is you are trying to educate the problem solvers and innovators of the next generation. Learning to fix an HVAC system in a step-wise process with a limited number of parts and options. I'm not sure I'd want my doctor to have learned by, nor a scientist working on a new drug to cure a disease.
Both HVAC tech and MD probably learned more in their internship/apprentice practice than they did in all of the coursework leading up to it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

So,Tere, who pays for the "retraining"? Student (faculty member) or school?
Tere North

leatherface wrote:So,Tere, who pays for the "retraining"? Student (faculty member) or school?
I can't remember from the contract leatherface, but I seem to recall if the area the person was retraining for was in need of more faculty, the school paid at least partially for it.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote:
leatherface wrote:So,Tere, who pays for the "retraining"? Student (faculty member) or school?
I can't remember from the contract leatherface, but I seem to recall if the area the person was retraining for was in need of more faculty, the school paid at least partially for it.
If I read the manual correctly, employee is entitled to "retraining leave" with no less than 1/2 pay for up to 12 months.
Embrace the pace of the race.
LeatherCy

I'm four hours from Macomb but in the last two years I've not met one person, faculty, coaches, students, parents...who have one good word to say about Thomas. The sooner he is gone the sooner WIU can start the recovery from is reign!
wiu712

More bad news resulting from the lack of a state budget:

Eastern Illinois University President David Glassman told the Faculty Senate on Tuesday that 30-day layoff notices would be sent to an estimated 200 non-instructional employees late this week or early next week.

EIU also plans to furlough all administrative and professional staff in March to make it through the spring semester.

Meanwhile, the University of Illinois has asked academic departments to draw up plans for more cuts in 2016-2017.
Officials say the cuts could result in fewer courses and larger class sizes in some departments.