Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Chicago State University declared a "financial emergency" this week. Other state universities may be forced to do the same as there appears to no end in sight to the fiasco going on now in Springfield with Rauner, Madigan, Durkin, Cullerton, and Rodagno.

And now we are hearing that Accreditation agencies may be taking a look at what is going on with the Illinois state universities.

This may be a "game" to Rauner et al. But people's jobs could be on the line if a university were to lose its accreditation.

I have to wonder where is the public outrage ????? We are now in the 8th month of this three-ring circus.
sealhall74

I wonder what the outcome would be if there was referendum on the November ballot whether or not to put all state universities under the University of Illinois system. Would anyone give a crap one way or the other?
Embrace the pace of the race.
LocalYokelFan

I don't think anyone would be happy if the other schools folded into the U of I system... help me understand that one. Maybe the fiscal hawks would be eying some administrative savings, but I don't see much benefit for anyone... U of I or the directionals. Interested to hear why people think that would make sense.
wiu712

More troubling news resulting from the lack of a state budget:

College-accrediting agency sends warning amid budget impasse.

A higher-education accrediting agency says the state budget impasse could have "significant" consequences for the public colleges and universities in Illinois.

The Champaign News-Gazette reports that the Higher Learning Commission, the regional accrediting agency for 19 states including Illinois, issued a warning to Gov. Bruce Rauner and members of the General Assembly in a letter Thursday.

The commission said schools that have to suspend operations or close because of unavailable state funding could lose their accreditation if they don't come up with plans for their students to continue at another college. It warned that the lack of state funding puts the state's schools at risk and jeopardizes students' futures.

Illinois' public colleges and universities have been operating without state funding since the fiscal year began on July 1.

The News-Gazette reported today that Chicago State University officials have said their campus could close by March 1 without state funding, and both Eastern Illinois and Western Illinois universities have raised concerns about their ability to continue operations.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/ ... ators.html
Neckfansince71

Read the article and continue to wonder why WiU is being lumped together with EIU once again when WIU is not at the same financial place as EIU at the moment. ;) jc
WIU0812

As far as we know we are not in same crisis, but could come out that we are a lot worse off than we are really thinking or hearing about.
Neckfansince71

So they include WIU as pure speculation? WIU is not in the same shape as EIU, or Chicago State, or NEIU, or Gov State and maybe just a little more better off or equal too SIUC and NIU but you would not know it from this miss stated article and I am sick of it! ;) jc
WIU0812

I did not say it was speculation they may have more insight is what I was considering, but if you are that sure that we are better off then we must be cause honestly I do not know shape of school other than they are starting layoffs and holding back on some projects.
Neckfansince71

Sorry for my "chirping" on this but our alma mater has been proactive in consolidation and reduction (maybe not in the direction that some on this board might like but....) something that a number of other state schools have not really considered till now! I just know that WIU is not about to follow Chicago State or EIU into the abyss if that happens in the near future IMO! ;) jc
wiu712

This is the problem that results if a college were to lose its accreditation: Students at schools that aren't accredited by an agency recognized by the federal government can't access federal financial aid.

In a report released today, Moody's Investors Service said all eight of the public universities in Illinois that it rates have negative credit outlooks, adding that the current budget stalemate could have effects that reach beyond the point when political leaders agree on a new budget.

The report stated: "The state budget crisis will have negative longer-term effects on Illinois public universities' credit quality, impairing reputation and competitiveness as students make enrollment decisions."