Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

Freshman enrollment up at Northern Illinois University.

From the Associated Press:

Freshman enrollment at Northern Illinois University has increased for the first time in six years. However, total enrollment at the university located in DeKalb is down.

The Daily Chronicle reports NIU welcomed 1,852 freshmen for the 2017-18 school year, a 3 percent increase from last year. Because of the departure of larger graduating classes, however, NIU’s total enrollment decreased by 5 percent.

Overall enrollment is down from 19,015 last fall to 18,042, including 13,454 undergraduates, 4,319 graduate students and 269 law students.

NIU vice president Sol Jensen says in a statement the university is encouraged to see increased efforts to market the university has led to a bigger freshman class. He said a more focused and personalized marketing effort will be key in offsetting the loss of upcoming graduating classes.
wiu712

With a new residence hall, Northeastern Illinois University makes room for the largest freshman class in four years.

Northeastern Illinois University has announced some preliminary fall semester new-student enrollment figures—the kind of encouraging numbers that NEIU hasn't seen since Fall 2013.

The bright spots in the University’s preliminary fall enrollment data show strong performance over last fall:

*829 new freshmen have enrolled at Northeastern this fall, an increase of about 4 percent over Fall 2016 (801 students).

*Total new graduate students (617) are up over last fall and have exceeded targets by 27 students.

*383 student-residents now live in The Nest, putting Northeastern's new residence hall very close to being at full capacity.

Despite a strong showing of new-student enrollment figures, Northeastern's preliminary total student enrollment fell by 5.8 percent to 8,982 from the 2016 total of 9,538.
wiu712

Tere North wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 pmBring back Summer Music Theater, which was a hallmark program that provided not just our students with opportunity, but brought others to Western.
Summer Music Theatre (SMT) was an annual event at Western 1972-2009.

On February 12, 2010, a "one year hiatus" was announced. The press release mentioned that the university would use that year off "to revamp SMT so we can come back better than ever in Summer 2011."

But Summer Music Theatre never returned.
Tere North

leatherface wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 am I guess I will disagree somewhat with Tere on one issue. I don't know if I want Western to be recognized as the " school to go to if you struggled in high school or did poorly on admission tests". Being branded as that type of school will drive away the higher quality of applicant. Tallented students and the parents of talented students want their college to provide challenges to overcome and excel in a high quality academic structure. Otherwise, she makes some very good points.
I'm not saying underachievers should be our primary focus, just that in the past we used to do very well with them, graduating actually at a higher rate that the regular student body. The Western decided to cut the special admit program in half and provide less support. Done properly, it could be a boon equal to the 10% Honors Student desire rather than the about 2-3%.
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 pm
Tere North wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 pmBring back Summer Music Theater, which was a hallmark program that provided not just our students with opportunity, but brought others to Western.
Summer Music Theatre (SMT) was an annual event at Western 1972-2009.

On February 12, 2010, a "one year hiatus" was announced. The press release mentioned that the university would use that year off "to revamp SMT so we can come back better than ever in Summer 2011."

But Summer Music Theatre never returned.
Especially when Music Theatre was listed as a signature program AFTER the Summer Music Theatre was dropped. And no, we don't need a Performing Arts Center to have SMT, it was very successful using Hainline Theatre.
wiu712

WIU officials working to address enrollment dip.

From Friday's WGEM-TV News:
http://www.wgem.com/story/36379225/2017 ... llment-dip
wiu712

Mayor Inman and WIU President Thomas deliver messages of dedication and prosperity at Town & Gown.

From Saturday's McDonough County Voice:
http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/news/2017 ... -all-of-us
Neckfansince71

So there is a Twitter clip of the band waiting to play the school fight song at the first Discover WESTERN that was held on Saturday. Looked to be a fairly large crowd! Also, some of the businesses that you mentioned 712 in the Dunkin Donuts discussion have also closed in my neck of the woods, i.e. Radio Shack, KMART, and Ponderosa!;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm Also, some of the businesses that you mentioned 712 in the Dunkin Donuts discussion have also closed in my neck of the woods, i.e. Radio Shack, KMART, and Ponderosa!;) jc
This is true, all of those closing are part of a more "national trend" for the chains...still, doesn't help that nobody is coming in to replace them for the most part.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Well, as I drove to Jewel I realized that Kmart and Penny's were major stores in Macomb and as you said, there are no replacements at the time being and Walmart seems to be the only "lonely" option at times. No matter what closes up here, there still is a ton of options. ;) jc