Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

As Word of Layoffs Spreads, Western Illinois Faculty Members Brace for the Worst.
From "The Chronicle of Higher Education":
https://www.chronicle.com/article/As-Wo ... ads/243810

By the Numbers: A Look at WIU's Faculty Layoffs.
From Tri-States Public Radio, WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/numbers-look-wius-faculty-layoffs
sealhall74

The jobs of today and into the future are science/technology and health/medicine. If you want to GROW the enrollment, the course correction needs to be in either or both of those directions.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:53 am When it comes to dining options, every college does it differently, IMHO it is not necessarily location that would matter to me. When I was in Seal, we had no dining facility so we could eat anywhere on campus. Usually it was Corbin-Olson. What would have mattered more to me back then (I was skinny as a rail} would be having to pay for each and every item (i.e. ala carte) that I wanted to eat. I know they are trying to cut down on waste this way but if I were at the top of the food decision-making chain, this would be a change I would make.
But at Seal, you are much closer to Corbin-Olson (or Linc-Wash that used to serve meals) than those in Bay-Henn-Tanner are to Thompson.

The guys typically like all you can eat for 1 price because they eat more. The girls typically like the by the item cost because they don't eat as much. The ala carte is more equitable as you can control what you spend and pay for only what you put on your plate.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:43 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:53 am When it comes to dining options, every college does it differently, IMHO it is not necessarily location that would matter to me. When I was in Seal, we had no dining facility so we could eat anywhere on campus. Usually it was Corbin-Olson. What would have mattered more to me back then (I was skinny as a rail} would be having to pay for each and every item (i.e. ala carte) that I wanted to eat. I know they are trying to cut down on waste this way but if I were at the top of the food decision-making chain, this would be a change I would make.
But at Seal, you are much closer to Corbin-Olson (or Linc-Wash that used to serve meals) than those in Bay-Henn-Tanner are to Thompson.

The guys typically like all you can eat for 1 price because they eat more. The girls typically like the by the item cost because they don't eat as much. The ala carte is more equitable as you can control what you spend and pay for only what you put on your plate.
How do you tell if your student meal plans is good or bad? One way is see how many non-students (faculty, staff, visitors, etc.) take advantage of what you are offering the students. I surveyed all of the schools in the Summit League this morning. We are unique in offering only the a la carte option. Best deal I found anywhere: If you are a faculty member at Denver, you can have all you care to eat at the campus dining center for a $5.90 a meal. Sign me up for that one. Another interesting thing I found is that Purdue Fort Wayne has no residence halls and no campus dining facility (they do have places to eat on campus). Their campus living facilities are essentially all apartment style with from 1 to 4 bedrooms, each complete with its own kitchen. Maybe that is the wave of the future.
leatherneckcountry

I loved the a la carte option when I came to WIU a lot of times I'll only eat once a day but a lot when I eat. The Juco that I went to you paid for every meal regardless if you eat or not. So I would get charged for 3 meals and I may only eat once.
sealhall74

Are drinks also payed for a la carte? Free refills I hope?
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:29 am Are drinks also payed for a la carte? Free refills I hope?
yep and no. If you use a washable glass it is cheaper than a take-out cup, but you pay for each fill. You cannot do a refill as you cannot renter the food area with a dirty dish.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:16 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:29 am Are drinks also payed for a la carte? Free refills I hope?
yep and no. If you use a washable glass it is cheaper than a take-out cup, but you pay for each fill. You cannot do a refill as you cannot renter the food area with a dirty dish.
Is Sodexo soaking the students for a glass/plastic cup of water with their meal? :lol:
wiu712

Food Service Comparison: Western and Monmouth College.

Under Sodexo, Western's a la carte plan is $1,875 per semester.

Under Aramark, Monmouth College's plan is $1,956 per semester. Food service at Monmouth is an "all you care to eat" plan.
sealhall74

Will mandatory meal plans at colleges become obsolete? I do see it eventually happening because of all of the food delivery services available today. I have been using HelloFresh for about a year now and get 6 really good meals per week (actually three meals for 2 people so I get to eat a "leftover" for one meal) for $10/meal. Another service called Freshly looks to be ideally suited to a busy college kid. Just need a fridge to keep things cold and a microwave to heat the stuff up. Three minutes of nuking and you are chowing down. Well, maybe a little longer because they only allow 700 watt microwaves in the dorm rooms. The 12 meals per week option will run you $108. Go with some oatmeal or other low cost high energy food for breakfast and you will definitely be eating cheaper than most college meal plans I have seen. Maybe colleges should work with these food delivery service companies and offer it up as an option to the students.

https://www.freshly.com/on-the-menu