Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Tere North

wiu712 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:12 pm This sentence from the above-referenced article in Saturday's newspaper goes a long way to help explain the current status of the local economy:

According to a graph generated by Institutional Research and Planning at WIU, the university has lost 24.7 percent of its civil service staff, 15.9 percent of its faculty, and 10.4 percent of its administrative professionals since 2011.
And as far as students, a 24.8% decrease over the same time frame (based on Fall 2011 vs Fall 2017 total enrollments provided by Institutional Research & Planning). The future doesn't look good either, as freshmen are down even move, at 36.1%. Only grad student decline is in single digits at 9.4%.
Neckerchief

An Associated Press article out today has more grim news about Illinois’ financial situation.

Highlighted quotes:

“Mendoza estimates the state will ultimately pay $900 million in late-payment fees on the existing pile of debt.”

“The Department of Central Management Services, which handles personnel, procurement and employee health care, has most of the June 30 bundle, with $5.8 billion. That's mostly doctor's bills owed to employee medical providers under the state group health insurance plan.”

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/apnewsbreak- ... ction.html
wiu712

Neckerchief wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:06 pm“Mendoza estimates the state will ultimately pay $900 million in late-payment fees on the existing pile of debt.”
That is what happens when you go 2+ years without paying your bills.

Anyone who is involved with the State's Group Health Insurance Program--either as a patient or a medical provider--is well aware of how far behind the State is in making payments on submitted claims.

As a result, the State (actually the taxpayers) are paying a 1% per month late payment penalty. That is an annualized rate of 12%. A one-year CD is paying approx 1.5%.
wiu712

President Thomas fields questions from faculty and staff.

By Isaiah Herard, News Editor, Western Courier:

Western Illinois University President Jack Thomas hosted a town hall meeting for faculty and staff to allow employees the opportunity for open dialogue and questions in the University Grand Ballroom Yesterday.

According to Thomas, the open forum addressed the budget impasse and its surrounding turbulence that he discussed in his State of the University speech earlier this semester.

“For the past three years, we’ve had some very difficult times; some very challenging times, times that I haven’t seen in all my 30 years in higher education,” said Thomas in his keynote speech. “During these turbulent times, my leadership team and I have struggled with making some of the very tough decisions. Some of those decisions haven’t always been very popular, but we were faced with no budget at that period of time and we just had to make some very difficult decisions.”

The Illinois Budget Impasse was a 793-day long budget crisis in the state of Illinois. From July 1, 2015 to August 31st, 2017, Illinois was without a complete state budget for the fiscal years of 2016, 2017 and part of 2018, which affected higher educational institutions.

Associate Professor of Health sciences and Social Work Amanda Divin expressed her demoralization and loss of hope in the administration’s likelihood to improve university matters to Thomas in yesterday’s meeting.

“For me, my biggest concern is that we as faculty are the faces of the university,” Divin said. “I know that the budget can’t be helped that is nobody’s fault, but the governor. I know that we are doing the best we can but we as faculty have been trying to stay positive. I personally feel beat down and unappreciated and they keep asking more and more of me and when is it going to stop because I’m really at my breaking point.”

Professor of Educational Studies Jim LaPrad said his primary concern with the contracts being offered is the reconstruction of the minimum based salaries.

“Right now, they want to create a market based reform which I’m not sure about,” LaPrad said. “I’m concerned about us creating the most vibrant, robust educational experience for our students. That includes paying a fair wage for all of our faculty members, advisors and support staff. By getting rid of that minima structure we will no longer be with our peer institutions particularly for the assistant professors and instructors.”

Thomas reiterated the goals and plans he will orchestrate to defeat this on-going crisis and increase revenue and enrollment in the future.

“What we put forth is a strategic supplement plan and we also put forth the president’s executive institute,” Thomas said. “We are looking at, in terms of a stable enrollment around 10,000 students is what I stated. Also, we’re looking at specific growth programs and we also want to invest in more online programs. Those are the three main things we’re going to do and then with the online programs we want to do more in terms of the undergraduate programs so we can reach out to more students, non-traditional type of students.”

As Thomas concluded the open dialogue, he expressed appreciation, gratitude and hope to the faculty and staff of Western. Thomas also said there will be more open forums in the future to allow every faculty and staff member an opportunity to voice their opinion.

“This is just the first dialogue we’re having in terms of an open house,” Thomas said. “I want to make sure that everybody is able to voice their concerns. At some point, I hope that we can all sit down and ratify this contract so that we can put all of this behind us and move forward. To everyone, I want to thank you for the sacrifices you’re making and I know how you feel.. I feel the same way; sometimes I feel unappreciated while dealing with these unprecedented issues. It is unfair to our university and our state.”
leatherface

I don't agree that the faculty are "the face of the university". There's a whole group of professionals who could join that chorus if they wanted to. More faculty arrogance. And, staff isn't there to support the faculty, they are there to support students and the university and its mission. That is the most important ingrediant- students should come first. I never see quotes from the faculty referring to students- only their own needs.
Tere North

leatherface wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:59 pm I don't agree that the faculty are "the face of the university". There's a whole group of professionals who could join that chorus if they wanted to. More faculty arrogance. And, staff isn't there to support the faculty, they are there to support students and the university and its mission. That is the most important ingrediant- students should come first. I never see quotes from the faculty referring to students- only their own needs.
A definitely agree. Faculty are NOT the "face of the university." If any group is, it's the STUDENTS. Until the focus is on what is best for students, enrollment will continue to decline.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:15 pm
leatherface wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:59 pm I don't agree that the faculty are "the face of the university". There's a whole group of professionals who could join that chorus if they wanted to. More faculty arrogance. And, staff isn't there to support the faculty, they are there to support students and the university and its mission. That is the most important ingrediant- students should come first. I never see quotes from the faculty referring to students- only their own needs.
A definitely agree. Faculty are NOT the "face of the university." If any group is, it's the STUDENTS. Until the focus is on what is best for students, enrollment will continue to decline.
If faculty are also performing the role of "Roving Ambassador" (i.e. recruiter), then I would consider them to be an integral part of the "face of the university".
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 pm If faculty are also performing the role of "Roving Ambassador" (i.e. recruiter), then I would consider them to be an integral part of the "face of the university".
That's a big "if" sealhall74. Except in rare cases, I don't see faculty out promoting Western and recruiting students. I have even heard many faculty astonished they anyone even things they should be doing that, considering that the role of Admissions. Their faculty role is deemed as far more important than getting students to Western, after all, they are the "sage on the stage."
leatherface

I agree with Tere. Every school has a small cadre of faculty who assist in visit days, college fairs and other student recruitment events. However, the vast majority of faculty believe it's up to admissions to do all student recruitment. Unfortunately, admissions can't promote all programs adequately. Most faculty don't seem "wise" enough to understand they need to promote their areas of study, and not say- "that's up to the bean counters", which I have heard some say over the years. Successful programs have faculty who are INVOLVED in recruiting students to their areas. I have been to a lot of college fairs- including ones where WIU is participating, and seen no faculty present. Apparently it's beneath them. Successful programs have faculty involvement and are student centric. Unsuccessful programs feel no need to participate in recruitment,but, will be the first to COMPLAIN or place blame on others when they have few students.
That small cadre is made up of dedicated teachers who put students first, while the other group is more interested in walking in the door, teach the class, and walking out. Concerned about tenure and the pay check. I'm basing this observation on almost 20 years in education, and yes, I currently teach a college class but am a staff member away from Macomb.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherface wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:57 am ...
Unsuccessful programs feel no need to participate in recruitment,but, will be the first to COMPLAIN or place blame on others when they have few students.
Yup. If you can't be bothered to get out there and recruit, then don't be surprised when your department is first on the list for the "chopping block" due to having so few students.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000