Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
wiu712

vatusay wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 amThe BOT should be ashamed keeping the current “leadership” in place when there has been a complete and total lack of leadership and vision through any of this.
You do have to wonder why the Western BOT allowed things to reach this point.

The current "chatter" in Springfield mentions a possible change in how the state universities are organized.

The current system of 9 separate BOT's was implemented by Governor Jim Edgar in 1995. Prior to that, Illinois had 3 operating systems:
University of Illinois
Board of Governors
Board of Regents

There is now talk of going with two operating systems, one of which would be the University of Illinois (UIUC, UIS, and UIC). SIU-Edwardsville could be added as a 4th member.

I work for the SIU Med School in Springfield. The Med School is part of SIU-Carbondale. But there is some talk of putting the Med School under the SIU-Edwardsville umbrella.

The Chancellor at SIU-Carbondale has said that they are expecting a Fall freshmen class under 1,000.

Makes me wonder what Western's freshmen head count will be for this fall ???
Tere North

vatusay wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 am The BOT should be ashamed keeping the current “leadership” in place when there has been a complete and total lack of leadership and vision through any of this.
You are making an assumption that the BOT would recognize leadership it is saw it.
Neckfansince71

Gosh we are very negative at this point! I spent 3 days in Macomb this last weekend beginning on Thursday and leaving last Saturday. I was there to work for the Leatherneck Club but also there to get a better understanding of what is going on. I spoke to both the Town and the Gown and yes there seems to be a disconnect between the two. There also seems to be a disconnect between direction and movement at the university level. But people love WIU and Western Illinois University has a whole lot to be proud of. Look, faculty unrest is not new. I was even part of a strike in my district. It did not prove a thing, but I was out there on the picket line. I think the fact that the faculty wants a raise is another example of the disconnect between Town and Gown. No matter, there is a whole lot of good coming from our alma mater. I am not going to hold back our donations! Alot is going on that is very very positive. There is a cycle to everything and I think in the very near future you will see the cycle once more moving in a positive direction. You want to be negative, fine! Have at it! But as far as I am concerned, the best is yet to come! Questions?? I have more information regarding why I feel that way and will share it in the days to come! ;) jc
wiu712

WIU Staff and Students "March for Mediation".
From tonight's KHQA-TV-7 News:
http://khqa.com/news/local/wiu-staff-st ... -mediation

WIU union rallies on the Quad Cities campus as contract talks linger.
From tonight's WHBF-TV News:
http://www.ourquadcities.com/news/wiu-u ... 1136441265

Union supporters march during WIU contract negotiations.
From tonight's WQAD-TV News:
http://wqad.com/2018/04/23/union-suppor ... otiations/
Last edited by wiu712 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:30 pm the faculty wants a raise
The premise of UPI's grievance is that faculty are underpaid. When I was a WIU faculty, sure, I'd liked to have had more, but I never considered myself underpaid.

Rather than rely on UPI or WIU data, I looked up data on the IBHE website where you can see, and download, all faculty salaries, with names, for professors, associate professors, assistant professors, instructors, and lecturers, for all 12 state universities.

Below is just for the full professors, but here is what I found.
Base FY2017 Full Professor salaries as per IBHE: CSU $84,221; EIU $89,996; GSU, $103,340; ISU, $92,168; NEIU, $81,148; NIU, $83,392; SIUC, $83,367; SIUE, $82,538; UIC, $129,900; UIS, $93,347; UIUC, $138,768; WIU, $102,335. So out of 12 state universities, WIU is 4th highest, nearly $16,000 over the average of the remaining 8 ($86,879) and definitely above the overall net average of all full professors from all 12 schools being $98,409.

It's a bit hard to imagine how WIU's faculty, at least the full professors leading the fight, are underpaid.
Neckfansince71

Terra,
Really good data! Thanks ;) jc
vatusay

I am curious to what the positive news includes. Regarding the future.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu712

UPI Marches for Fair Contract at Western Illinois University.

From Tri-States Public Radio WIUM-FM:
http://tspr.org/post/upi-marches-fair-c ... university
Western_101

rocki wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 am
RedNeck wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 am What conceivable reason would any high school student have to want to chose Western over any other University? I can't imagine having a college age child whereby with any conscious I would advise him/her to go to Western.

Honestly Western really could close and in a few years time it would be completely forgotten. As if it never existed at all. It will just add to the lore of Forgottonia.
Be careful what you "wish" for. I could honestly see this happening.
Rocki, I don't wish for it.

Every semester is worse, enrollment is abysmal, we have a proud football tradition with a stadium that is so partially decrepit it is crumbling apart. WIU was promised a PAC that would help with quality of life and revitalize the region. WIU emploded a 14 story high-rise a few years back and more recently brought down the tallest dormitory in Illinois to ever be demolished (20 story Higgins). I'm not being negative. I'm being an eye witness. Also, what is the real signature draw of WIU? (please, please don't say LEJA).

I found Tere's information to be astounding. I thought surely with WIU teachers going on strike they must be the lowest paid of the State universities. I want everyone to be fairly compensated, I just hope that a group of peoples' actions doesn't expedite the demise of the entire University.

I admire NFS71, always have, an endless pool of optimism. I just cant bring myself to see things that way.
vatusay

Demanding a raise in the current economic environment, when already fairly paid, is simply ludicrous.
#ALLIN #YOLO