Updates to faculty layoff plan and other stuff

General Campus News, Updates, Discussion
Tere North

I disagree that it is the "quality" of student we are recruiting that drives our poor retention. In the research I had done before I had retired, those "questionable" admit were not an more significantly likely to bail than the others. Student affairs research tells us time and time again, what drives retention, particularly among traditional age students on residence-based campuses like our is "institutional fit" which how well the student perceives they fit, are welcomed, etc. All that is determined within the first 6-8 weeks of being on campus, even if they don't leave immediately. At the time I was doing the research, even 10% of Western's seniors were leaving, just one year or less from graduating. We need to work on our efforts to make them feel valued and help them find their fit. Not only will it benefit retention, it will also benefit alumni giving in the future.
leatherface

I didn't say Western was recruiting a poorer quality of student. I said accepting marginal students can be a factor in retention in general. I don't think any one would disagree that a poorly prepared student who struggles academically might not be an at risk student, who may very well leave.
My comments were various factors that might lead to retention issues. I have no experience with Western, my experience as a staff member has been at selective private colleges where the points I made are perhaps more relevant. However, these are accepted reasons why retention can be an issue any where.
wiu712

Southern Illinois University Carbondale's 2017 fall enrollment will be 14,554, a decline of 8.96 percent compared to Fall 2016.

The largest drop was seen in the incoming freshman class, which has 408 fewer students than Fall 2016, or a 19.19 percent drop.

New chancellor Carlo Montemagno said the decline was anticipated, and cited multiple reasons including the state budget impasse.
wiu712

lllinois Public Universities Were Harmed by State Budget Impasse.

The two-year Illinois budget stalemate reduced enrollment in the state’s public colleges and universities by more than 72,000 students, eliminated nearly 7,500 jobs, and cost the Illinois economy nearly $1 billion per year, according to a new study released today by the Illinois Economic Policy Institute (ILEPI) and the Project for Middle Class Renewal at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

https://illinoisepi.files.wordpress.com ... cation.pdf
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here are the official numbers from Western: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=14787

Overall, a decrease of 8.98%, which is pretty much exactly the % that SIU-C had (although they're larger, so it's a larger number of students that makes up that %).
Illinois State has also dropped, but only 1.21%...still significant because they'd been increasing every year since 2013. They essentially dropped back to where they were in 2015.

I have not seen numbers from the other schools yet.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Scott,
Any retention data? There are a number of us that are really interested in this! There actually are 5 "R'" in higher education. Reading, wRiting, aRithmatic, Recruitment, and Retention! ;) jc
wiu712

Macomb campus enrollment:

Fall 2016 = 8,943
Fall 2017 = 8,109
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:18 am Here are the official numbers from Western: http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=14787

Overall, a decrease of 8.98%, which is pretty much exactly the % that SIU-C had (although they're larger, so it's a larger number of students that makes up that %).
Yet, SIUC accepted responsibility in not being nimble and understanding students. WIU on the other hand, blamed only the state, not themselves. To achieve Thomas' goal of leading the new future and reestablishing high ed confidence is going to take bold moves, not continued sticking your head in the sand.

Consider, while Macomb's enrollment is officially 8109, more than 800 of those are online/extension students. Physically on Macomb campus numbers are only 7272 http://www.wiu.edu/IRP/enrollments/2018 ... macomb.php.
For new freshmen, 2017 represents a 21.13% drop from last year, just 1172 http://www.wiu.edu/IRP/enrollments/2018 ... degree.php. That does not bode well for the future even if they markedly improve retention.
Neckfansince71

Tere,

It seems to me that WIU has been addressing problems with recruitment and retention for the past couple years and have made it part of WIU's 5 prog attack. SIU never even mentioned a problem with enrollment or the factors that influence it until the spring and it was almost a "surprise" to the faculty and staff if you read any of those articles. Andy Borst and crew did a great job reconfiguring WIU's recruitment model and I think Sean Miner will apply those lessons learned along with his ideas on recruitment to improve that part of the equation. Obviously our numbers are not where they need to be, but lets let WIU get down to work and lets hope that our "wonderful" governor does not hold higher education hostage again in the near future.

;) jc
leatherface

Why are folks so concerned about SIU-C, and dragging them into conversations. Let's pay attention to Western's issues. Criticizing what SIU-C does or doesn't do or hasn't done has no bearing on Western and its needs. No, me nor anyone in my family has any ties to SIU. Just saying. Worry about Western not someone else.